Trip Betwixt the Holidays | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Trip Betwixt the Holidays

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I definitely hadn't anticipated the wind to influence the water level. The bayou that runs through my neighborhood is influenced by the wind, but we're less than 10 river miles inland from Lake Pontchartain. Grays Creek is at least double that distance inshore from Lake Maurepas.

Only "nearly" lost a canoe one time due to rising water, but then it rained like hell all night long so I kept peeking out the tent at the water stick to see how high it was getting. Our pots did in fact start floating down stream, but we were up and breaking down camp by that time and we got 'em before they went too far. :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
2512751640100750486S500x500Q85.jpg

russell.jpg

The top picture where you landed and then the one across the creek both have those red signs on the trees , are they areas the state has marked to camp at or are they posted signs. I have the feeling they are the latter of the two.

If areas to camp at the spot across the creek sure looked higher and dryer , judging from the pictures.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
They are POSTED. No state land here. We stay on some private lands owned by a fellow who builds pirogues. You may know him.....

piper

I believe I just might know him since Grays Creek is so close to Denham Springs. :wink: It's a good thing you guys were in Pirogues with there flat bottoms so you could slide over some of the mud and get closer to the bank.

The wind can play tricks with the water depth , the same with a tidal influence on a river.
If you ever paddle the St.Mary's River at the Florida and Georgia state line. Between Tompkins landing and the Atlantic you think it is all fresh water but the Atlantic causes an tidal influx in that section of the river.
We pulled the boats up , nice high and dry on a sand bar ( camping ) between Tompkins landing and Traders Hill. Woke up during the night , took a look at the boats and they were not there , they were in water and up river as far as there bow lines would let them go.
Even when they are beached we tie them off to something solid. It's a good habit to get into.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Been poking around Piper's photo library... Here are the two photos that show the rise:

Mine (taken Monday)

Piper's (taken Wednesday)
DSCF0131.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Holy Mollie! I don't think there was 5 feet of bank left where we were. It would have been an "OH, CHIT!" moment swinging our feet out of the hammock into a foot of water.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Those were the two photos I was comparing. Another 5 feet would have been disastrous. Ask Ronnie about our experience on the Brazos with rising waters.

We don't have many tides in Michigan and nearby Lake Superior Provincial Park or Killarny Provincial Park. Some rain.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Holy Mollie! I don't think there was 5 feet of bank left where we were. It would have been an "OH, CHIT!" moment swinging our feet out of the hammock into a foot of water.

Joey

Joey.......

That's just one more good reason to camp in a hammock. No matter what the conditions are you stay nice and dry and if the water gets to you ....... Time to get out of there cause you are in some deep Chit.. :wink:
In a tent you can get wet when there is a rain and especially if you set it up in a run off area. Like a low area or a area the water wants to run threw or puddle up in.
Besides all of the other numerous benefits they offer a camper , hammocks are just way more comfortable.

Chuck.