Trip to Baton Rouge | SouthernPaddler.com

Trip to Baton Rouge

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I had a Cub Scout function this weekend in Baton Rouge. On the way home this afternoon, my ride and I (and our sons) decided to stop and check out the mammoth Bass Pro Shop in Denham Springs. I wont go into details, but lets just say this place is not simply a store. It is more like an outdoor (retail) mecca. Anyway, that's besides the point. As we walked through the entrance, I see two wooden pirogues up ahead. As I see them, I procede to tell my friend how I met these folks a couple months back, and how they build these beautiful boats. So as we get close, I'm thinking, "wow, those look just like the boats that Keith brought to the rendezvous (that was a tough one, had to look it up :oops: )." Sure enough, we walk up to them and on the bow is a small brass plaque with "Keith's Pirogues." I called my son Ethan over... "I met the guy who built these." "Cool!" Cool indeed 8)

islandpiper

dang, russel, i probably drove right past you today. we were in BR at Sams Club buying stuff for the big BBQ event. I couldn't talk my wive into taking the time to visit the BPS, so when you are on your way over sometime, pull into Ponchatoula and I'll jump in.

Yup, you saw those boats before.......at the Rendezvous.

Piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Most folks don't notice but the dugout is hanging over the fireplace, just to left of the fireplace is a lifesize picture of Keith standing in a dugout with a handful of rat hides that I took several years ago.

make a pass through Bass Pro in about a month and you'll see three more of our boats on display - a bateau, a skiff, and another dugout

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Damn, I missed the one by the fireplace. We were too busy checking out the grating with the fly rod handle.

Our Pack did a sleepover on the USS Kidd. The ship was cool. Sleeping arrangements were a little cozy. Those sailors had it worse than prisoners in the state pen.

Sorry Piper, I thought about you, but I wasn't driving. And really, BPS was an afterthought. Maybe next time (there certainly will be a next time!).

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Piper - sorry i don't wear boots (cept those white shrimpers), but make a pass by friend Keith's house when you come through and check out the latest projects

Oz - we're apparently a bigger hit than we want to be. They want more

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Tick time to ask for much more money he's got real deep pockets ya know. I've met him a time or three good guy and will spend the money on something he likes.

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
We have a BPS close by but I am looking forward to checking that one out next time I make a trip home to BR. I also here from my sister that the Cabelas is really cool.

You guys make me homesick sometimes but since there are no snook there I may just stay here in Florida. :D

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
Yep,I was born at Woman's Hospital In BR but I actually spent most of my childhood(3-13) on a little farm you might know as Angola. It may sound crazy but it was a great place to grow up.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Don't really remember his name - guess I'm old enough to get sometimers instead of Altzheimers. After 25 years Bobby and Bubba are the same name anyway

He was probably in his 60's back then so he'd be near 90 today if he's still alive