Truck Rack Pictures | SouthernPaddler.com

Truck Rack Pictures

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I'm having some problems with the links, so bear with me .... if needed I will edit the original posts and supply new links shortly .......

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I tie it down to both. The "body" of the pirogue is tied to the rack. At the stems, I have a small painter (circle of rope) attached to the boat. I loop a rope thru those and attach to the front and back of my truck. That way I have extra insurance holding the boat from shifting forwards/backwards.

I'm just a little paraniod about my boat coming loose, so I may be overdoing it a bit, but it gives me peace of mind ....

The rack is heavy enough that there is no concern about it getting pulled out of the bed. There is just a small amount of wiggle-room for setting the rack on the bed, so the rack does not move when motoring down the highway .....

In an earlier version of this rack, I used a 1" round wooden closet rod as the cross-post. I put 1 1/4" PVC over the closet rod. That worked great as the PVC pipe was pretty slippery and allowed you to slide your boat onto the racks easier.

Hope others can post their pictures of their racks.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
After experincing the high winds of recent months and driving at 70 mph I too, take precautions about the boat coming off. Better safe than sorry in this case. I tied the canoe down to the rails that run along the top sides of the bed. Those winds have nearly pulled the hold down screws off! I have to replace them before I go off on another trip of any size...
I have a step bed on my truck. I was wondering if I placed vertical beams behind the cab and atop one of the 'steps" if that would be secure enough to hold the forward rack. I'm thinking of a base plate welded to the vertical support and achored to that step.
I got the Fulton rack for the back but need a forward support.
swampy

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
andrewp said:
I tie it down to both. The "body" of the pirogue is tied to the rack. At the stems, I have a small painter (circle of rope) attached to the boat. I loop a rope thru those and attach to the front and back of my truck. That way I have extra insurance holding the boat from shifting forwards/backwards.

I'm just a little paraniod about my boat coming loose, so I may be overdoing it a bit, but it gives me peace of mind ....

The rack is heavy enough that there is no concern about it getting pulled out of the bed. There is just a small amount of wiggle-room for setting the rack on the bed, so the rack does not move when motoring down the highway .....

In an earlier version of this rack, I used a 1" round wooden closet rod as the cross-post. I put 1 1/4" PVC over the closet rod. That worked great as the PVC pipe was pretty slippery and allowed you to slide your boat onto the racks easier. ]

Don't have pics but yours is very similar to one I built for Ford mini PU several years ago. What I did was make it VERY slightly longer than the bed of the truck. When the tailgate was shut the rack was very effectively pinned in place. It wasn't about to go ANYWHERE! If you try it and overdo the length and damage your tailgate---, I TOLD you not to do that! :lol:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
That maybe the way I wind up doing it too Tom. I found out from a body guy that the sheet metal wouldn't hold any load vertically. I just dididn't want to cut into the top of the bed liner.... :cry:
swampy

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Well, I added a bedliner to my truck, and that effectively screwed up my original homemade truck rack. It wouldn't fit anymore.

So I built it all over again!!

This time I used PVC pipe (1 1/2") as the posts. The 2x4s fit into the slots molded into the bedliner. The PVC is anchored to the 2x4s with straps. Everything is still removeable.

Here are photos:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/110 ... 3850pvvPKz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/110 ... 4023uTdUHh

Also, my wife was complaining about taking up the entire garage with my three boats.

So I built another rack!!

This one has dollies underneath so it can easily be wheeled about. The vertical wooden sides are not super-firm, but good enough. The PVC makes sliding the boats on and off very easy, and it does not marr the wooden finish. Anyway, you get the idea.

Here it is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/110 ... 4317HuofNU

(the first is a little blurry -- try the second)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/110 ... 4482MCIRvZ

These have taken up most of my time so I haven't been able to make much progress on the boats the last two weekends ....

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Jack: Not that I can tell. I do get some movement on 4-lane Interstate when a semi blows by me. All I do if I see them coming up behind me is move a bit more to the right of the road. It's the turbulance from right behind them that causes the boat to "wiggle". But in normal traffic and situations, no problems.

I lash things down pretty good, looping my cords all the way around the boat (underneath). I have bow and stern ropes, as well as ropes tying the mid-portion of the boat to the rack. That keeps the boat on the rack and from moving forward/backwards under either a hard acceleration or stop.

Now this rack is still new to me, so I need some more time driving with it. But I suspect it will perform the same as my other racks have done in the past ....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

We should get a good report after this weekend if Andrew gets to go camping and fishing over at Canaveral
What a trip .... He tries out the new rack and his hammock at the same time but for different reasons or uses and hopefully gets a bunch of fish..
Chuck.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Just a quick update -- the rack worked out great -- no issues. Got passed by several bigrigs blowing by me at 80 or so mph and the yak didn't even wobble.

The only time I had a little trouble was a hard stop for a light. Boat wanted to shoot forward because the PVC is so slick. But I had secured the ropes front-and-back, and it kept everything in place with only a little sideways slipping.

So I'm satisfied with how the yak hadles on the rack. When I get the pirogue done, I'll try that out and report as well.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Truck Rack...

My Rack I built a couple fo years ago is on my old Ford Ranger is similiar to Andrews. They work really well. Never had a problem. I donm't need it anymore since I got my new full size Dodge Truck. A plus thing is that a guy wants my old truck with the rack still attached. He is in contruction work and wants it for hauling ladders and lumber etc. I always used three straps on on each end and one in the middle(Chicken strap) just in case for some odd reason the other two blew off LOL KAHUNA
andrewp said:
Just a quick update -- the rack worked out great -- no issues. Got passed by several bigrigs blowing by me at 80 or so mph and the yak didn't even wobble.

The only time I had a little trouble was a hard stop for a light. Boat wanted to shoot forward because the PVC is so slick. But I had secured the ropes front-and-back, and it kept everything in place with only a little sideways slipping.

So I'm satisfied with how the yak hadles on the rack. When I get the pirogue done, I'll try that out and report as well.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Andy thanks for the up date... I'm still looking for a cheaper way to secure the front end of the boat. I'm considering drilling holes for the front lines to tie to... and glue a rubber mat to the roof of the cab.

swampy

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

Been thinkin' on rack trouble. Mine wuz jest fine when my front bumper wuz steel. Now its plastic, so I caint drill no eyebolts in it fer ropes.

Lance 'n hiz son didnt like the eyebolts cuz the ropes would rub the paint on the front of the hood. Sez if I'm gwine ta do it, ta use 3M maskin' tape ta protect the paint.....only 3M.

I done like they sez, but 3-4 months later it wuz mitey hard ta git that 3M tape off. After that I skipped the tape 'n didnt see no serious paint harm. Heck, I'd likely be too old ta paddle before the paint come off.

Anyway, new truck meant new rack. Lance's son-in-law Chris whipped out anuther one, this time he used 3/4" angle iron. I recommend 1". [If ya like I wuz, I figgered this wuz gwine ta be too heavy, but lo 'n behold it wuz liter'n wood.]

I didnt tie the front down last October. I put a truckers hitch in ropes frum front thwart ta back of bed 'n the other way round 'n used my new cinch down straps. The whole rack swayed a bit tho, but it done jest fine.

These racks iz jest like goal posts, cept I put some ole firehose on the 1.5" angle iron that made my Chevy size rack 'n some garden hose on the 3/4" angle iron fer the Toyota size rack. Bedliner has holes with little "pop out" plastic pieces that I figger I lost. Bout 6" frum the bottom of each goal post he'd put a 90 degree angle iron piece that run along the top of the bed....ta make it set still.

The whole thang set real still after he put a big "C" clamp on each of these bracin' pieces. He got the kind that dont rust much. I had ta put a piece a 1x1 wood under the top of the bed (inside the bed) so the C clamp would work rite. If ya dont have a bed line ya need some firehose on the bracin' pieces less ya dont mind scratchin' up the top of yer bed. Tighten 'em down good 'n they gwine ta bend the top of yer bed anyway.

My system, tied down front 'n back, with rubber bunge strap (he drilled a heap a holes in the bottom of the cross bar angle iron) and a front thwart ta rear rope (ta keep it frum sliding forward if I stopped fast) wuz all I needed. No trouble with 80mph 'n truckers. I canoe, two canoes, Yahoos.

On the Chevy I used two ropes frum front of the canoe(s) that went ta two separate eyebolts on each side of the front bumper. Now I'm ponderin' cuz the Toyota hood iz rounded so much the ropes kin slip off down in the wheel. I done that on the Silvermine Road 'n had ta git out 'n tussle with the rope 'n my front wheel in the rain. [Sez some more words the little pardners aint supposed ta hear.]

Lance's son sez he'll fix up a bar that attaches up under the front end 'n sticks out front far enuff so I kin tie a rope up high that wont have ta rub the paint. I figgered I'd look like Ole Elliott Ness lookin' fer a whiskey barn, so I thanked him anyway.

One idea wuz ta buy a pair of them ready made racks that come in sets a two fer car tops. That way I'd only need one angle iron goal post rack in the back of the bed, with a roof top rack in the front. That way the front of the canoe kin go forward further so..............

Hmmmm........my thinkin' train run plum off the track. Sorry.

regards,

bearridge
poster geezer fer oldtimers

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar.... that iz the reason fer lookin at home made racks... have ya seen the price o' them store bought thingz? HIGH!!! $200 an better... an thatz jest fer the front!!!
Saw a boy up at th' store... he had over $500 in hiz! But I gotta say hit looked great! but $500 will buy a heap o' wormz...

swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Mine rack iz homemade. Strong az iron, lite az kevlar 'n able ta leap over small buildings in a single bound. I wuz studyin' on changin' the front rack frum homemade angle iron ta store bought yuppie. I figgerd you'd see rite off what a good idea it wuz 'n buy the other half a the store bought roof rack. That way fer $100 we each git half a rack fer the front.

I done some more figgerin' but kinda like Ole Mister Coleridge, quick az a wink the spirit left me high 'n dry. If it comes back, I'll let ya know, but what do ya think so far?

Course if ya got a chrome bumper, jest make the front 'n back 1" angle iron 'n ya kin drive ta Canada faster'n Burt Reynolds. Big trucks 'n high winds wont do ya no harm.

regards,

bearridge