turkey hunting | SouthernPaddler.com

turkey hunting

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
i don,t hunt turkeys but since we have this section i would like to see some pics & read some good stories on a recent trip if any you geezers been lucky enough to bag one. cat

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I got Chuck last week. I caint recall which section. Search fer "gobbler". :roll:

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free. P.J. O'Rourke

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I had a brother-in-law who was totally worthless. He wouldn't work, and wrecked cars while drunk regularly. He was good at two things, playing pool while drunk, and the Remington 700 in .270 Winchester. If he could see it, he could hit it.
I went hunting with him twice a year or so for as long as he was married to my sister. He took off hand shots, I would not take from a bench. He hit a whitetail buck in the neck at 450 paces, standing up.
But the most amazing shot of his I ever saw, was during Spring turkey season. We were walking out to a place he has scoped out, to sit out the afternoon calling turkeys up. On our way to the blind, we jumped up a tom. The bird ran through the broomweed for fifty yards, and then went airborne.
The tom was 100 yards away, and crossing behind us, when Dennis shot it. With a hot, hand loaded, 130 grain .270 Winchester. The bird was 105 of my paces away, when we went to pick it up. He had vaporized the turkey, all we found were the thighs and drumsticks.
I didn't much like him ever, he cost my sister untold grief, I'm glad he's gone, but the S.O.B. could shoot!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
my son called one up & killed it first trip out . he has killed three in his life. me i don,t have the patience for it rather deer hunt.

lenaxin

Jul 21, 2009
What type of shotgun is best for pheasant or quail hunting? I am wanting to get into bird hunting (or wing shooting as it is called) I have a Remington .20 gauge, but I didn't know if this was appropriate for pheasant or quail hunting. I was also not sure whether I needed a choke, and if so, what size.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I hunted pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels for years with a 20 gauge, single shot, full choke. Michigan, Indiana, California, Korea. A 12 gauge will sling more pellets, thus improving the chances of a hit for poor shooters. Also messes up the meat more when you hit.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
lenaxin said:
What type of shotgun is best for pheasant or quail hunting? I am wanting to get into bird hunting (or wing shooting as it is called) I have a Remington .20 gauge, but I didn't know if this was appropriate for pheasant or quail hunting. I was also not sure whether I needed a choke, and if so, what size.

I missed this but will catch up.

All I have ever used on Ducks , Quail , Doves or Turkeys is a double barrel 20 ga. The triggers let you decide on which barrel to use , the modified or the full choke.
My other one was a 410 double and it is pure misery for the Snipe or Woodcock.

I would say your Remington 20 is quite sufficient for what you want it for.

Chuck.

WDfrmTN

lenaxin said: