TV 15-32 SOF | SouthernPaddler.com

TV 15-32 SOF

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Can't find a SOF piroge on the Nett. anywhere...Am I nuts..I don't know....
Seems like I always got to modify something...
Even as a kid I didn't stick to plans building model cars..I remember having boxes of parts..and modifying everything into a dragster...Hot Rod and Car Craft mags were my model plans..

Well I received the plans from Matt with his sale going on....

One of the diff. in the plans of the 29 and 32 is that the 32 has the layout for 4 frames... and the 29 had 8 frame layouts...
8 frames would work perfect for a SOF...
So first I will have to layout the 32 bottom panel.... and transfer the frame location poins off the 29 bottom panel layout to the 32 bottom panel....
The end result is the changes to the 29 frames will only be the increased width of the bottom panel of the 32 everything else on the 29 frames will be the same...

Well.... :)

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Yea, glad to have company. Seems like few major tools and toys in my life are not modified by me in some way. How can people live in this world full of cookie cutter stuff with out being able to customize things to fit them?

Tom

JEM

woodman said:
Can't find a SOF piroge on the Nett. anywhere...Am I nuts..I don't know....
Seems like I always got to modify something...
Even as a kid I didn't stick to plans building model cars..I remember having boxes of parts..and modifying everything into a dragster...Hot Rod and Car Craft mags were my model plans..

Well I received the plans from Matt with his sale going on....

One of the diff. in the plans of the 29 and 32 is that the 32 has the layout for 4 frames... and the 29 had 8 frame layouts...
8 frames would work perfect for a SOF...
So first I will have to layout the 32 bottom panel.... and transfer the frame location poins off the 29 bottom panel layout to the 32 bottom panel....
The end result is the changes to the 29 frames will only be the increased width of the bottom panel of the 32 everything else on the 29 frames will be the same...

Well.... :)

crap... I never got you those frames. Let me look at it tonight.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Matt ...thanks because I'm about ready to pull my seconf SOF off the strong back...
Had a teenager that I take fishing over Sat. to help with lashing the Stonefly canoe..

Yours truly..

it will be raffled off at our (Indian Council Of Many Nations) 50th year anniversary, starting at our winter powwow in Feb. clear through.. to, and ending with our summer powwow in Aug.

JEM

Last night was a pretty busy one so I didn't get to it:

-drove my son to his job (he doesn't have his license yet)
-picked up my daughter from her middle school basketball practice
-My daughter (a basketball NUT) and I coach a youth church league basketball team and we had practice last night.
-Daughter needed new basketball shoes, so we did that
-Picked up some plans from the printer and shipped
-Dinner
-Dang dog rolled in some mud some she needed a bath
-and oh yea... worked an 8-hour day at the "day job" before all that!

I'll look at it tonight.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Matt... I could still try it my way and see how that first top side stringer fairs out. I will mount the 2 end frames to the strong back "adjusted according to the WL. Then mount every other one..make them out of some scrap I have laying arround...

The keel and the first chine will be no problem..might even have to add another stringer between them because of the width of the hull

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
All-right...thanks Matt that will put a 19'' spacing between frames this ought to be a really fun project...just wondering on the space between the keel and the first chine having a max beam of 14'' I don't know if I need an intermediate stringer between the 2 or not?
I got a post over on the KF site for those Guy's to offer up any sugestions...

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I got this answer back off the KF site which I will do....

Quote:I would highly recommend a spare, partial stringer between the keelson and the first chine, perhaps only 8' long, centered fore and aft, with nicely rounded ends, so as not to provide a ripping point... this stringer doesn't even have to fully contact the skin, but may be as much as 1/8" away from it... it's only there to relieve the 14" span I've done this in one of my kayaks, and, started out with the spare stringer 1/4" proud, which threw the initial stability out the window. when I re-skinned it, I removed the extra 1/4", and regained the stability.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
The frames are laid out on the keel stringer..and the outer chines are in place....

Where the outer stringers naturally land...the bow is 3'' longer than the plans but at the stern it is 11'' to long..

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
A pic. of the upper stringer clamped inplace from the stern end...It is going to take a little bending to get it over to the centerline...I will have to cut back the keel and bottom stringers...This makes for a fun challenge... :)

I will sketch an outline of the stern on a pc of 1/4'' ply and stick it between the stringers to get an idea of where to cut them to length..

On the canoe I just built the stringers get lashed to a pc. of 1/2'' ply..
And they landed naturally in-place onto the bow and stern pcs. without pinching them together.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
JEM said:
Why not just squeeze the wood battens together so they meet where you desire them to? Wouldnt take much bending to get the results, would it?

Yea that is what I will do..using 8' cedar 2x4s scarfed together for the stringers does set a length limit...
Figuring out how to position the gunwale stringer took some time..I will use an 1 1/2'' pc. and fold the fabric over to the inside and stapel it..then screw on an inside trim pc. to cover it.
The keel and other 2 bottom stringers are 1''X 5/8'' The side stringers are 5/8''X5/8''...

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Looking good. Wish I lived closer so I could come over and see the project and help you with it. One of these days.....
You know Thomas Hill (a power plant cooling lake) is open all winter. Last year I christened the Amanda Lee on the day before Valentines Day.
The hybred stripers bite all winter.

Tom