TV 15 32 stitch question | SouthernPaddler.com

TV 15 32 stitch question

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
TV 15 32 stitch question
While our 10 year old Granddaughter was finishing up her UJ 12 footer, I cut out a 15 32 out of Luan I had in the shop. The plan was to use the luan for SS &G patterns. After some thought, I decided to use the luan and build a 15 32 for experience, ie my first stitch and glue could and would have some mistakes.

After drilling the form holes measured right –but from the wrong end, it has been fairly uneventful and a good time. I’m having some problems getting the joint between the floor and the sides to meet on the edges. In some places the floor panel wants to come up a little inside the side panel. I suspect it has something to do with the way I have stitched the forms to the sides. Maybe I need a stitch-- form to side near the bottom. Maybe just a lack of patience, I plan to continue with the tumble homes and see if it helps the floor to side joint.

I’m guessing one of you experienced geezers can take a look at the pictures and immediately see where I’m going wrong. I’m open to any and all suggestions.

Good Fish’n

Andy
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r75 ... ce8a3c.jpg

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r75 ... fb7751.jpg

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r75 ... 46cb2f.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Using zip ties would be a part of the problem for me , I use copper wire and if there is a question about an area I can go back and loosen them , adjust things and then re-tighten them.

Like Jack I make my holes at 6 inches and sometimes even closer if there is something that needs more adjustment to it.
If everything lines up but there is still a gap then it is thicken epoxy with wood flour that takes care of the problem. That's providing that everything has lined up like it should and nothing is out of whack.
Later when I do the fillets on the seams the fillets cover any patch work.

Chuck..........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BUFF Jock, Chuck eased in another point there. Completely proper hull alignment before applying any glue is critical.
I use stove pipe wire for the same reason Chick uses copper wire - easy to adjust. Some builders prefer zip ties, but cheap wire worked well for me.
Work slowly; think way ahead of yourself before doing anything that is likely to become permanent (includes cutting and gluing), and know that epoxy and plywood can correct almost any error you make. And - you WILL make errors.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
First off, I read your "handle" and wondered, why was this guy flying nude, and why would he tell anyone about it?

:shock: :roll: :lol:

No, really, I know what you used to fly! 8) A Big Ugly Fat F. . . Aircraft. :wink:

Not sure where I first heard it, but "Perfect is the Enemy of Good." I can't tell from the pics, but if your luan is the really thin "door skin" material, it does tend to be a little hard to handle, and even when cut perfectly, sometimes the edges just won't meet up quite like they are supposed to. Like the guys said, sometimes you will need ties closer together, or even an extra mold frame or two.

From what I can see, it looks like things are going more than reasonably well. A good bead of thickened epoxy and some judicious sanding after it's cured, and I'm betting things will be just fine!

If that is the thin door skin luan, I guess you are planning on maybe 6oz. fiberglass cloth, inside and out?

And sorry about playing with your screen name! I just couldn't resist.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Thanks for the responses and advice. My wire from Duck Works came today. I had already cut some of the ty wraps and started over in the problem areas and added a few stitches. Also I didn’t have the sides of the forms fastened in tight enough. I just wasn’t working at it hard enough. The bottom and sides are coming together just like the pictures in the plans.

Mike, I’ve done some crazy things in my 70++ years, but flying naked isn’t one of them. However I had this copilot in Vietnam… O never mind! The luan is 5.2 mm. When the luan quality began getting worse at the big box stores I went to the local rural lumber and bought all the old type they had- 10 sheets. I didn’t want to run out of good luan before I ran out of grandkids.

I’m real enthused with how the pirogue is going together. I can see that a planer and cedar boards are in the future! Thanks again for the help you put me on the right track.

Good Fish’n

Andy