twig stove | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

twig stove

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Just tried out the raised pot holder. Got the fire going and put a 7" diameter aluminum pot on the stove with a little over an inch of water in it. It came up to boil in 3 minutes. I kept it simmering for 15 minutes by just adding pencil-sized twigs every couple of minutes. I tried index finger-sized twigs and that works better for keeping a constant temperature without tending as often. Pretty satisfied with the performance so far.

I think it's getting enough air, but I might cut a couple more holes just to see if it works any better..

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ronnie has a folding grill. He promptly stacks twigs n such on top of a ruffled newspaper and lights it. Adds wood to get a bigger fire, and sets up the grill. Works well.

He had the rear half of a critter baking within 15 minutes of landing one lunch time. Would've gotten away with it, except the other half ran to the barn and told the rancher. We got caught.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Ronnie has a folding grill. He promptly stacks twigs n such on top of a ruffled newspaper and lights it. Adds wood to get a bigger fire, and sets up the grill. Works well.

Okay, twig stove, Pepsi can stove AND a River Rat folding grill---- that ought to cover just about any situation. I need to invite more people camping to take advantage of all this cooking power. 8) :)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD didnt mean to jack your thread, but here in Texas and in Colo where I hunt we usually have two modes One is there is a fire ban and you have to have contained fuel, (propane ,white gas, alcohol) or if its not in force I am a firebug and love a good camp fire and usually do all my cooking on it.
Just for me and my locale the propane single burner and the grill do it all for me .
In different parts of the country they might not be the stoves to have.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe... ( Lazyriverguy) has a set up that works great for him. He sets up a folding tripod , hooks up three chains to a circular grill then the chains to a single one running up to the tripod. ( If memory serves me correctly) .

Then he builds a small fire under the grill and puts his coffee pot on it for some coffee , Lays a potato next to the fire. Later he removes the pot and drops a slab of meat on there. One thing takes care of all his cooking.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ha Ha Ha ....

I have had one of those for several years and is what I use when using one of my beer can alcohol stoves ( burner ) or the Trangia Stove ( burner) .

It is great for heating up liquids or warming a meal , will not cook a turkey but it does give you a hot drink or meal.

Yep... I'm back. Will do a report shortley.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I knew I had this on here and after some searching I located it buried on page #2 , Camping Section.

You listed is the Amgazit Pocket Cooker

I put one of my home made alcohol stoves in it and it works like a champ , folds up and is easy to store away. If you don't want to use one of the alcohol stoves in it as a heat source then just burn some small twigs.

The Pepsi G stove .....
I made my stove from two 24 oz Budweiser cans or if you are lazy then just use one of the Trangia Spirit Stove burners for $12.00. I have one and don't think it puts out as much heat as the homemade stoves but it does work.

By the way this outfit will boil water just as fast or faster then my single burner Coleman does. 1 oz of alcohol in it is good for about 6 minutes burning time. You can always put more in it before you light it off , I would not go past the half way mark which would give you a lot of time and waste fuel , denatured alcohol is inexpensive.
If I want a extended burning time then I remove the one that is hot and place another one in place of it. Half the fun on making the little stoves is emptying the beer cans.

Ready to cook
stove%20003.jpg

The flame does reach the bottom of the pot when it is on there.
stove%20007.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All I have used is the denatured since it works so good.

As Far as the grill , it gets a work out all the time , might call it the local smoke house. :lol: That sucker earns it's living around here 2 or 3 nights a week.

Still looking for the mail person to deliver the Trangia outfit to me , should be Monday if they can read the number on the mail box.

We have a temp delivering the mail , 7 letters addressed for me were delivered to the neighbors mailbox over the last week. The VACANT place next to me with the overgrown yard and the rest of the trash , even a For Sale sign in the front yard.

Monday If I can ( and I will , you can bet on that ) catch the bimbo delivering the mail and ask her what is the number between 151 and 131 ..... My bet is that she will not have a clue , foggy idea and just plead stupidity while batting her eyelashes at me ..... BIG MISTAKE.

It takes a lot to tick me off and she is becoming really good at that..... Time for some WAR. .

Chuck.