Two Dollar Paddles | SouthernPaddler.com

Two Dollar Paddles

aprayinbear

Feb 9, 2007
South Carolina
:D

Thought I'd post two paddles I carved out of 2 x 4, and 2 x 6 construction lumber. Actually I used left over wood so I didn't have to pay a cent, and I finished with left over spar urethane.

The first is a pretty standard single blade paddle from 2 x 6 lumber. No laminations, no fancy wood, just construction stock. I was able to find a piece that was virtually clear, with no knots or cracks. Most important, the grain runs the length of the paddle. I probably could have made it a bit lighter (I tend to overbuild things), but it works well for me and paddles easily.

The second is a variation on an Inuit or Greenland style double paddle. This paddle is super light. Don't have a way to measure exactly, but its definitely lighter then the single paddle. Once again, just construction grade lumber. This one had some knots and imperfections, but a little epoxy and flour firmed that right up.Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but I think it will do well in open areas, and because of its length (90") I could even pole with it in a pinch. I know some of you think double enders aren't the greatest for pirogues cause they get you wet, but hey, I live in SC. Its hot down here and I can usually use a little cooling off.

A quick tip. If you want clear wood cheap, buy long lengths of 2 x 6, or 2 x 8 stock. You can usually find 16 footers which are almost clear and should yield 3 - 5 paddles if laid out correctly. Also, for strength make sure the grain runs the length of the board (or close to it).

All The Best,
Duffy

DSC03578.jpg