types of wood used | SouthernPaddler.com

types of wood used

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day BC

Oz has commercial plantations ofPaulonia.

The industry is still in it infancy and I don't know much about it.

We planted a Paulonia in our house yard about 7 years ago. the bloody thing went mad. In about 5 years, it had reached about 30 feet in height and probably a food in girth. Beautiful straight trunk.

The roots are very invasive - much worse than a fig tree and the plant is not suitable to be grown near buildings.

I cut mine down and the basterd sent up suckers all over the place. It still is. even after boring holes in the stump and exposed roots and filling them with glyphosphate. It has completely destroyed Robins Japanese garden.

The wood it self is very light when dry and should be very suitable for strip plank building. I used my timber for wood turning. It is lovely stuff to work in the machine and makes beautiful bowls and salt/pepper shakers etc.

Oh yeah,

I'm not old mate. I just have had a hard life, That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
paulonia (aslo called the Princess tree) was introduced in the U.S. back in the 1800's. The little fine seeds were used as packing material when shipping sets of china ware to the U>S>. Of course the seeds got introduced into the wild and now we have them here. The tree is very fast grownin,huh Mick. It has large leaves and makes a good shade tree. In Japan the wood used to be highly prized. As Mick said the wood is light and very stable. The Japanesse us it to make little keepsake boxes with. I'm sure they had other uses for it but that one was all I heard about. I sure wish I had some seed. I would try them. Not near the house from what Mick said.I've talked a lot and I Wanna be quite now.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I finally went back and read the Puloniaworld site. Know a lot more now than I did before

Mick--Paint antifreeze on the stump and it will die. Antifreeze will kill anything. You can stop rot in wood with it, then sand and paint after it dries. Might have to make a few applications but it will get it.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Paulownia Tree, Unusual But Interesting

Recently, several of the agriculture agents from this area were meeting at a nearby farm, planning an upcoming training when we came upon an unusual tree. One of us looked at it and stated it looks like a catalpa tree. Another looked at it and said it cannot be a catalpa tree; it does not have the right kind of seedpods. We all scratched our heads.

Finally, the last agent in the group came up and asked what we were looking at. We pointed to the tree. He looked at it and quickly said, "Why that is a paulownia tree", renewing my faith that all old Clemson Extension agents know everything.

I got back to the office and looked up paulownia tree and thought that you might be interested in the information I found.

According to "The Tree of the South" by Charlotte Hilton Green, the paulownia tree, Paulownia tomentosa, is native to Japan and China. Oddly enough, it was named after a Russian princess, Anna Paulownia, by a Dutch botanist.

I can understand the confusion with that of a catalpa tree. The foliage and form of the native catalpa tree looks very similar to the paulownia tree. Unlike the catalpa, the paulownia flowers before it leafs out and has a very different shaped seedpod.

The catalpa is another interesting and usual tree that will have to be explored more fully in another article.

The paulownia tree has several common names, which include royal paulownia tree, princess tree, empress tree, international tree and blue catalpa.

The paulownia tree is deciduous. This means that it looses its leaves in the fall of the year. The seedpods, which resemble clusters of nuts, will remain on the tree into the winter. The most unattractive time for this tree is during the colder months when seedpods can be heard rattling in the wind on the leafless branches.

In the spring, the paulownia puts on a real show with very fragrant, breathtaking blooms that more than make up for the uninviting winter months. The flowers are purple to violet in color, which is a very unusual color for a tree. Personally, the blooms resemble that of wisteria in color and foxglove in form.

This tree was reportedly naturalized in the southeast as an ornamental plant around the turn of the century. Ornamentals refer to plants used just for decoration.

Because of its vigorous growth, it was used at one time as a hedgerow or screen. These screens had to be cut back each year. In a single season, the shoots could grow up to ten to twelve feet high.

The leaves of the paulownia are heart shaped. On the new growth the leaves can reach a size of 15 inches across, which add to its attractiveness as a screen. Leaves produced by older trees are much smaller and range in size of 6 to 8 inches.

The tree can reach a height of over forty feet tall.� The wood, earlier in the 1900�s, was highly valued in the Oriental countries because it is light, soft, easily worked. In Japan, it was used at one time for making wooden shoes

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Paulonia Props

And for those old enough to recall it the big rubber powered model airplane that were once the height of ambition to build for young boys often contained machine cut props of Paulonia in the more up-scale kits. Most such models came with balsa props but the Paulonia versions were readily distinguishable from the balsa props. Balsa was very much a 'whitewood' while the Paulonia, even though much stronger and almost as light, was a light tan in color and much harder than the soft balsa. They were also finished out to a much closer to useable status because of the superior machinability of the material versus the balsa versions which required a LOT more labor intensive sanding to fnish.
Insofar as structural strength I don't think that should be considered one of the cardinal virtues of the material.