Uj pirogue 1/2" plywood? | SouthernPaddler.com

Uj pirogue 1/2" plywood?

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Has anyone built a uj pirogue using 1/2" plywood? Or 15/32" which is what they sell at my local home depot. I'm thinking serious durability?

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Yeah heavy but you could get away with way less fiberglass prolly. I saw where a guy on YouTube built a 1/2" pirogue because he said he wanted more durability. Don't know? I may do it just to see how heavy it really is? What the hell I'm going to do it just for the fun of it. Any tips? Should be fun.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
HOLY COW........

Ya building the Battleship , Missouri ? If you want to go that way then use the thicker wood for the bottom and 1/4 inch for the sides unless you are into weight lifting.

OK... No more picking on you , it is your boat , make it the way you want it , all of us are different in our likes and dislikes or ideas. As they say , we march to a different drummer. Or as a Sgt of mine use to say .... What ever floats your boat. :D

I made one from 1/4 inch wood and all the rest from 1/8th inch wood but there were glassed inside and out with a lot of epoxy saturation for strength and light weight.

If you do use the 1/2 inch keep us posted on the progress as you go along. Needless to say , they can be made however the person wants them to be made. It would be more of an old fashion boat since they did use the thicker wood in those day's. The darn things lasted forever with just paint on them and screws to hold them together.

Chuck.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Well the boat I'm running now is 145' and is classed at 97 gross tons so I can handle it. Of course it is helped along by five cummins KTA 38 turbo deisel engines. Lol!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently said:
Well the boat I'm running now is 145' and is classed at 97 gross tons so I can handle it. Of course it is helped along by five cummins KTA 38 turbo deisel engines. Lol!

In that case ..... Go For It....The Pirogue would be a lot lighter to car top then your normal boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way with the 1/2 inch wood for the Pirogue , you are into uncharted waters ( in this water way ) so please keep us informed.

Chuck.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Ok after a little ribbing and some careful thought I'm going to do a half inch bottom. I'll stick with 1/4" on the sides. I'll post pics and details when I get home. I'm stuck on this boat until next week. It's killing me. I couldn't wait to get home last trip and get started. Then halfway through my trip home(28/14 schedule) I got called back to the boat because a captain on another boat had a family emergency. His son was in a real bad car accident. Don't know the guy but knowing what he's going through my boat can wait.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Another point of view. My pirogue was built out of 1/4" douglas fir marine plywood with no glass or epoxy when first built. She was slightly overbuilt and came out at 61 lbs. Fir ply is about 25 lbs per sheet in 1/4" or about 50 lbs :shock: in 1/2". I figure your build with 1/4" sides and 1/2" bottom would come out about 85 lbs. Only you can judge if that's too much. Unless you are VERY rough on your boat, 1/4" all around shuld be plenty. If you go with 1/2" ply bottom, glass and epoxy would be REAL overkill.

One thing to consider. The heavier your boat is, the more apt you are to drag it around, causing accelerated wear. Lighter boats are carried more and suffer less wear. It's a balancing act.

Joey

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Hmm? That is another way of looking at it. Darnit now I have to reconsider! This is so confusing. My mother always said I was different. I can't buil my boat like everyone else I gotta make it my own. But if making it my own will require a trailer and towing package on my jeep then I'll stick with the plans.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Oh on the other hand the 1/2" design would make mounting the .50 cal machine gun easier. And before you judge you should know the cotton mouths get pretty big.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Bently said:
Oh on the other hand the 1/2" design would make mounting the .50 cal machine gun easier. And before you judge you should know the cotton mouths get pretty big.

Dat be true! 8)

The 1/2" will probably handle one of those Cummins a little better than 1/8" too. :shock:

Mike

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I learned one important thing when building laminated bows. Wood that is twice as wide ( 1"x2" compared to 1'x4" board) is twice as strong. Wood that is twice as thick is 8 times as strong. I' m not sure if that carries over to plywood, but, suffice it to say, 1/2" ply is MUCH, MUCH stronger than 1/4".

On my laminated bows, the difference in thickness in a dinky 40 lb bow and a gut busting 70 pounder is hardly noticeable - about .090 " or so.

Joey

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
joey is correct on the strength

also the 1/2" is 4 times stiffer than the 1/4"

friemd keith has a couple that are 3/8" all over and they're the proverbial brick outhouses of pirogues

keith

joey, that 1/2 inch is 2x that 1/4 inch, the weight is one thing, but he will play hell bending it. he'll brake the ribs trying unless he puts in about 8 ov'em.you can make a jon boat. now if UJ has plans for a 24 footer, you may bend that. later keith