UJ pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ pirogue

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Tom at Bzzd Blf is giving me a UJ kit I'm going down there Sunday to pick it up. How much rocker can I put in the bow? 2 inches? At the stern maybe 1 inch. What do you guys think?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Paul,

Standard, they come with about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of rocker each end. This can be modified by altering the angle at the side frames. ie wider at the top = more rocker, narrower = less rocker.

I think about 2" of rocker each end is about all you will need. I think the strong rocker is to allow the boat to release the water cleanly and not drag it along behind you - slowing you down.

The pirogue experts here will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong. :D

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm thinking I'm going to turn the UJ inside out how about a v bow turning to flat at the stern. Tumblehomes twisted to original at the bow and stern.
I still think a little more rocker at the bow and a little less in the stern. Partial decks maybe 18 inches front back close to the seat. Anyone think I'm out of my mind?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Oh ya and 3 keels going from nothing a the v bottom to 3/4 of an inch at the stern all running parallel to the center line of the boat.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
No BR Bear I'll not vote Democratic in this or any other election. I'd like to tell the story behind this decision but it's not for this forum.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
No BR Bear I'll not vote Democratic in this or any other election. I'd like to tell the story behind this decision but it's not for this forum.

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwww..... and I wasted all of that perspiration in this cold weather worrying he would say why , silly me. :roll:
OK.. Off for a shower and more right guard before I freeze. We did have a cold front hit us ... ya know.

OZ.. It is going to be your boat so keep us informed on the progress and which way you are going to go , who knows we might learn something. I would suggest that you get the kit and look at the instructions before doing anything. They are darn good boats the way they are designed.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Back to the pirogue for a minute I thought I was typin with invisible ink.
Have I got you pirogue builders confused? I'm just wanting to give this boat some of my loco(al) design. Can be done I'm just gonna use 10 dollar ply. Twist and shape my ideas?
Don't you guys do anything for fun just to say here's what I done?
OK tell me what I'm thinking is out of build possibilities.
Paul

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
Back to the pirogue for a minute I thought I was typin with invisible ink.

OK tell me what I'm thinking is out of build possibilities.
Paul

The only lack of imagination or build possibilities is usually on the builders part , they think of it after the build is done , NOT in this case. :D

I trust that you know the cheep ( $10.00) wood is no good and your boat will fall apart in 50 or more years. Looks like you will have to make more later down the river , so to speak. :wink:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Thank you I just want to try my hand at what I think would be MY BOAT.
May not work but who knows. No one else has tried this. Ok now imagine the hull of (oh shoot here I'm gonna say it) a jet ski. That design is what I'm going to try and replicate to a lesser degree on the v bottom at the bow.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
OK so it's not a pirogue I understand the reality of your heritage boats. Just give me a little liberties to make an Ozark boat.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
a jet ski hull is designed for moving about at planing speeds

i can't see where that type of hull would offer much advantage at paddling speeds -- of course you may paddle a lot faster than me

another disadvantage would be that pointy leading edge would suffer more when meeting immovable objects in the water

on the other hand, it sounds like an interesting build, keep us posted on your progress

keith

cheap wood dont bend very good. just look around. the old saying are true, you get what you pay for, theres no perfect wood or boat, cheap and pretty dont go together, the list goes on. try to get the best you can for your bucks. later keith

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Ok got the UJ kit but no plans. I'm thinkin 14 feet. How does that compare to what you guys have built? Next on the stems which is top and bottom? I'm guessin the bottom is the end that is notched to accept the plywood.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Seein how today was so nice out I cut out all the panels except for the deck I plan. The epoxy connection was not epoxy so I passed. This being stain a light gray I think I will get a gun grade in gray for construction. and wait for glassin epoxy for that.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Panels spliced maybe a little assembly tomorrow. That is If I don't get called in to that other build I'm doing.