Update - Tinted the sides | SouthernPaddler.com

Update - Tinted the sides

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
This boat building is addicting! I took the day off today to work on it. I applied a second coat of epoxy to the cloth on the bottom with what started out as a brand new soft plastic spreader. Wow, that glass cloth is abrasive with just one coat on. By the time I was done with the bottom the spreader looked like it had been dragged behind a car for 50 miles.

Before applying epoxy to the sides, I decided to add a good amount of green tint (from RAKA) to my batch. I made three ounces for the 1st side and it was too much. It's 75 degrees here today, and this stuff certainly cures a lot faster than when it was 50 degrees in my basement this winter! By the time I was approaching the end of side one, the batch was a thick mess.

For side two, I mixed a smaller batch. I applied this with a soft plastic spreader. For those that follow, I can tell you that a spreader is fantastic for plain epoxy and allows you to get a nice thin coat evenly worked into the glass cloth. Unfortunately with the tint added it is quite difficult to get a smooth application. It tends to smear and that is not the best looking application. I think I will apply the next coat of tinted epoxy with a foam roller instead. I do expect to put a coat on the bottom mixed with graphite, and will likely apply that with the spreader. Take a look:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... loth-1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... othonB.jpg

A couple of questions please:

1. At 70 degrees, how long do I have to wait to put on a coat of epoxy/graphite on the bottom?

2. What have any of you used to apply the tinted epoxy that has worked well?

Thanks - VTFogg

:)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I get the rollers for epoxy in the 9 inch length. I take them and cut them in half at 4 1/4 inches with a razor knife or box opener. This way I get two rollers from one.

It will take about three coats to get the shade you want , two to make sure the color is there and the last to cover it.

The Swamp Girl I made and tinted.
Sg2.jpg

Chuck.

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
I used a short foam roller as suggested to apply the second coat of tinted epoxy to the sides tonight. The foam roller is THE way to go. MUCH easier than using the soft plastic blade to apply a smooth color coat. I still like the plastic blade, but it took me nearly an hour per side to put the first coat of tint on. Using the foam roller took maybe 5 minutes per side, and with much better results to boot. Since I am going to graphite/epoxy the bottom I rolled the bottom with tint to use up every last drop of my batch. I only made 3 ounces for this second coat, and the second side didn't get as thick of a coat. Should have made about 4 ounces.

Last night I also put a second layer of cloth on the bottom from the stem and stern going in to the first rib, and overlapping the side about an inch, so as to take the abuse a bit better. I figure one more really good coat of tint on the sides, then graphite the bottom, then it's time to flip it over to lay cloth on the inside, install the inner rub rail and a few more touches, then get it wet.

Here's a couple of pictures as it stands now:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07002.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07003.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Foggy mate, your shop is way too tidy. Ya need a lot more junk lying around on the floor to trip over and sawdust everywhere. We got standards to maintain here ya know? they're not very high but they are there. :lol:

Seriously nice job mate. I just love those UJ pirogues. I keep looking at the one we built at my work and thinking, man, I gotta make me one of them one day.

I am certain you will be delighted with the way she performs.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick
It looked so neat and clean I thought he had his boat in his Livingroom. I saw the red manure scoop :roll: hanging on the wall and figured it probally was his garage. Nice looking boat though.
Bob

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I'm glad I'm not the only one who get's a Load for having a clean shop/garage. I can't help myself! Keep up the good work Foggy maybe we can start a new trend on this board and shame some of the other geezers to clean up a bit. :lol: Ahh! Who am I kidding!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Jack there are no lawyers here unless you consider the ones under the house, or in the garden. :wink: Nope no lawyers here! Who needs scruples any way I can only hope that koothe comes your way soon and you can pass it on to me and Bob although it might get wasted here as well but hey, It's worth a shot ! :shock:

Bye the way Jack, I meant to ask you earlier about running over one of them there TEXAS TURTLES. You must be doing sumthin right to ride over one of them hard shelled soup buckets and not eat pavement. That had to be one heckuva ride!