Vidalias (Onions ) Cucumbers and Vinegar | SouthernPaddler.com

Vidalias (Onions ) Cucumbers and Vinegar

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well ...........

The Vidalia Onions are all over the place so it is time to really enjoy them.

Besides roasting them on a grill , Cooking them in a microwave and all of the other normal methods of preparing them.

I'm doing like my Grandmother did...........

Slice up a onion ( she never had the pleasure of enjoying a Vidalia) quarter it. Now get a cucumber and peal it then slice and quarter it.

Mix them together and stuff them in a glass Jar , when it is packed with the onions and cucumber slices , add some pepper ( Black ) to the top and a little salt.

Over this pour some good white distilled vinegar till everything is covered , cover the container with plastic , not metal like tin foil , refrigerate and then later take out what you want to go with your supper. :D

I always save some of the sliced up onions and cucumbers to add to the vinegar when I take a lot out to have with supper. This way I have a good supply on hand pickling for my enjoyment. If a body would want to add a drop or so of hot sauce to the mix as it ( For better words ) cooks or pickles in the fridge.

Chuck.

Tor

although we don't have the sweet onion. We use a small onion about an inch in diameter for pickling.

As well as the pepper we add allspice, mace, cloves, cinnamon and a little chilli (optional). Goes great with cheese dishes.

Tried to find a source of Granex Onions in Australia, they sound yummy, but haven't located them yet :cry:

Tor