Washington DC | SouthernPaddler.com

Washington DC

islandpiper

I was honored to be invited to Washington DC by the USMC for an event last week and was accompanied by my daughter, Christine. This will be a helluva long, picture-heavy post and will take a few days to arrange my thoughts and the images. We walked Arlington and all the downtown monuments, saw the roof of Mt. Vernon, touched the glass over the CONSTITUTION and met some real heros. Amazing adventure....more to come. piper

islandpiper

While in DC for the Evening Parade and Reception Christine and I managed to get a few minutes to talk with a fellow who could have been a great president: ( He made up to Christine immediatly and jokingly said, "Christine, you can pick any one of these young Marines here and keep him." He is a real gentleman, someone you could live next door to.
P8121021.jpg

Christine and a Marine, home between deployments. In part because of men like this you will get to sleep tonight.

P8121025.jpg

I also finagled a short meeting over coffee with Senator Harry Ried:
P8121012.jpg

Arlington......of course we visited Arlington...but not long enough:

P8110981.jpg

And, in a city of Lawyers, of course they serve Legal Seafood

P8110975.jpg

And we got to be tourists for a while, too

P8131054.jpg

The vegetable garden? Of course......what would a visit to DC be without looking in on Michelle's show-garden?

P8131066.jpg

Frankly guys, THE WALL kicked my butt.....if you have been there and laid your hand on it, you know what i mean You can FEEL the spirits there. Nuff said.

P8131078.jpg

The Korean War Memorial.....the polished marble wall with the sand blasted images of men, reflecting the living people walking by, and mixing them is a heavy trip.....living art with a purpose.

P8131100.jpg

And, of course, one of the wisest man America has produced. The idiots sitting in the Halls of Congress now are mere shadows of men compared to this one.
P8131149.jpg

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
thanks keith for sharing . yea its for those men we have alot of things. i guess the greatest is the peace of mind. :D maybe mr CP will still run for president