Waterproof paint/epoxy for pottery? | SouthernPaddler.com

Waterproof paint/epoxy for pottery?

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Hi all.

This isn't technically a boat building question so I hope its okay to ask here. But I figure you guys know a good bit about paint, epoxy and water.

I bought 3 large glazzed ceramic pots. Beautiful rustic blue. I am going to use them to make a casscading waterfall/fountain where one pours into another. Problem is the insides are only glazzed down a few inches from the top. They will look much better if the insides are blue as well (and I don't think the match is that critical).

What could I use to color them that will be waterproof with constant long term immersion in water? I was thinking maybe regular fiberglass resin with the dye/coloring they sell to color it. I don't know if I would trust fiberglass resin to stick to something smooth but this pottery is pretty rough textured and porous and that might make it okay.

Or is there a common brand/type of paint you'd be pretty confident about using?

thanks guys

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It might be best to check at a pottery / ceramics shop. Back in the dark ages when the wife and I did pottery and ceramics as a hobby. The shop had everything that was needed to have a finished item.
There use to be an after firing glaze you could use that was waterproof.