Wearin' out! | SouthernPaddler.com

Wearin' out!

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Had a 2nd visit with an orthopedic surgeon today. I've had degenerative arthritis in the cervical area of my spine for several years and now one of the discs has deteriorated to the point it has to be replaced. Doc says it's a simple and safe procedure but he has to slit my throat to get to it. Doesn't sound so simple to me!

This getting old crap sure ain't for sissies!

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Hey Gramps,
Just sharpened all my cutting tools and for the going rate of $5 could do the slitting with minimal scarring. For $6 I could make it look like a bullet hole and, coupled with the right "story", the scar could make you a legend around the campfire for years to come! I do hope it all goes well for you.
Doc

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I think that, with a seasoned disk - burn on some high temp oil, as done with stainless steel skillets - and about half a roll of duct tape, we could fix him right up. Less than ten bucks. Bouquets of posies extra, of course.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good idea!

Uhhh, wait. The camo tape would be on the OUTSIDE, right? Cause, the disk is already on the inside. I think. Though, hell, knowing Jon, he might wanna flaunt something new on the outside some. Parties n all, ya know.

Doc, can you tie camo duct tape into a bow tie?

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Wannabe said:
Anybody know how Grandpa's procedure went?
Bob

Procedure itself went well. The severe pain was gone when I woke up. Still have an occasional nagging ache once in a while but it's something I can endure. Recovery is taking longer than I anticipated. Still have not regained full dexterity in my right hand and fingers or strength in my right arm. Surgeon tells me that because of the nerve damage in my neck, could be 2 years and maybe only 80-90% usage. The 80-90% I can accept, but I may be dead in 2 years :shock:

I still have a 30# lifting limit and all 4 of my canoes weigh more than that. Fortunately, the 3 trips I have scheduled before my next visit with the surgeon don't require portages/carries and my son and the guys I'll be with have graciously offered to do my heavy lifting (great friends :D ). I just have to drive, haul the canoe trailer, and feed them my DO lasagna with DO cobbler for dessert (fair exchange).

I appreciate you asking, Bob.

Jack, you ready for the AuSable trip?