Weight loss | SouthernPaddler.com

Weight loss

islandpiper

This isn't a recipe really, but a short narrative of what it has taken to burn off some of my , hmmm.......excess middle.

On March 10 i got back to Louisiana from a trip North and the next day began THE DOCTOR'S QUICK WEIGHT LOSS DIET. I saw the book many years ago, printed in 1971, and bought a used one on Amazon for under a dollar, along with the companion QWL Cookbook.

Now, on March 21 I am down 12 pounds. I think it is mostly around the middle as i am going to need to cut a new hole in my belt later today.

Easy diet, and I've never been hungry for a minute. Short synapsis: All protein, NO carbs....... so, lots of beef, chicken, turkey, shrimp, fish, pork, eggs, and cottage cheese, all with the fat and skin off. Spices, condiments allowed. Coffee, tea, water, sugar free drinks, all you want. Get hungry, go eat an egg, or another slice of roast beef or a burger. If it's not in the first part of the list, DON'T EAT IT.

Now, i think I have "hit the wall" and will switch to the second part of the diet which is all veggies and fruit......again, no or low carbs. And, when i crave a burger, i'll switch back by the week or ten day period.

Notice there is no beer , Scotch, Rum, Gin, Whiskey, Wine, etc on the first list. There's no desert, no chocolate, no pudding, ice cream or pie. Dang.....easier if you just don't look at any of it. Of course, Diane has been baking up a storm, making Angel Food cakes (twice) Brownies (twice), and cookies (twice) since March 11. So, while she eats cookies I humbly sit with a small dish of plain cottage cheese.

But, my Uniform now goes on me again. I may be able to suit up and play a tune for Jack as he snoozes off to dreamland instead of just showing up in blue jeans.

Jdupre' had this whole thing figured out long ago. He's trim and fit as a fiddle and has been passing on the potatoes and rice for a long time. Smart guy, that joey.

Guess I'll go have a hard boiled egg and get to work.

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Good news, piper! I settled on a similar diet 7 years ago. Lost 15 lbs. in a few months with little suffering. I never actually GAVE UP rice and potatoes, just cut them way back. Twice as much meat and veggies and half as much rice and potatoes. It's an easy diet to stay on indefinitely. I just don't think you can stay on a diet that says you CAN'T have a certain food. Let's see- ribeye steak, pork loin, beef jerky, bacon = diet food. Ya gotta like that. :mrgreen: Keep it up, piper, it gets easier. The cravings get more manageble. When faced with temptation, you have just enough control to say " That looks really good, but I think I'll pass."

Joey

islandpiper

My shop is on a busy pedestrian street in downtown Hammond, with a fashionable restaurant next door and the college just a few blocks away. Lots of times I look out the window from my bench and say to myself, "Ya, that looks good.....but, I'll pass."
:D :D :D

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
<snip> the college just a few blocks away. Lots of times I look out the window from my bench and say to myself, "Ya, that looks good.....but, I'll pass." :D :D :D
We're still talking meat by-products here, aren't we, Piper San? I worry about you, Li'l Brother. :wink:

So, no lullaby this year? (snarfle giggle, wheeze) Maybe I'll get in some good sleep then. Just a practice nap. Practice naps, you know, don't count of your lifetime. Real naps do, though.

islandpiper

Just an update. Depending on the day of the week I have lost a solid 20 pounds or a more mobile 25 pounds. That is because i tend to eat with the family, and have more carbs, on the weekends. I still am watching the QUANTITY I put on my plate at meals, and i have sworn off my favorite breakfast of home fries with bacon and onions, with toast and cheesy scrambled eggs. That hurts.....but is a big part of the weight loss, I think.

I really want to get down near the US Army weight standards which will require me to lose another 12 pounds or so. My wife says i look more like my Father every day. I don't quite know how to take that.

Anyway, if you are one of those rare geezers who knows he should lose a few pounds and doesn't know where to start, then try what I did. But, don't put it off.....ask your Doctor and he'll tell you why.

piper

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Good for you, piper! It's not just the length of your life, but the quality too.

I started exercising March 27th, and dieting April 17th. I'm down 14 lbs since then, best of all about 12 lbs of that is fat. As for diet, I'm using a calorie tracker at SparkPeople.com. At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 4 of them raw. I've been between 2000 and 2300 calories a day. Protein is 10-35%, Carbs 45-65%, and Fats 25-25%.

PS - If you haven't read it, you might look at In Defense of Food. The author shows how changing farming from a craft to factory methods has decreased the nutritional value of our food, and how government subsidies and agribusiness marketing have pushed us from healthy foods to manufactured ones. I love his diet rules:
Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants. http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php