What is it? | SouthernPaddler.com

What is it?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks like a scraper to pull ashes forward in a fireplace, so they can be removed. Careful examination of this tool discloses the followimg information:

1. It was made in 1956
2. It was purchased on a Thursday, in April of 1957.
3. The hatdware store where it was purchased, was on the left side of the street.
4. Purchase price was $2.95. Sales tax added another 6 cents.
5. I'm unable to determine material of composition. Maybe, iron recycled from a '41 Dodge? Maybe a Chevrolet?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Lord gawd amignty! Brother Jon has awakened. Good to hear from you.

Pontiac? Could've been. Without that old Indian head hood ornament, I didn't recognize it. A green car, wasn't it. With a boot in the right front tire? ;-)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
My horseplay may be misleading. I really do think it is an ash scrsper, used to pull ashes to the front of a firebkox for easier extraction.

Maybe, but why the sharpened convex edge?
I have never scraped a firebox, so I really don't know.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I don't know what the sharpened edge is supposed to scrape. But, it's obviously a scraper. Looks like it was originally attached to something. A drag chain? A handle that needed to swivel?

I've used scrapers shaped generally like it in stoves and fireplaces. They did not have a sharpened edge.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I don't know..........
I've used scrapers shaped generally like it in stoves and fireplaces. They did not have a sharpened edge.
Maybe for stubborn ashes. :roll:

I don't think the intended purpose was for scraping wood. At least not refined work. The thin steel handle does not offer much control of the tool.

bee

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Could be an anchor for in the ground , a deadman.
I have used singular rigs to pull out vehicles in the sand with a winch
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Ron it seems small for an anchor. Only about 3" to 4" wide. Are the anchors usually that small?

bee

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bee
They use them pretty small, pulling out a vehicle you put it blade down on top of the sand then attach your winch line to the chain link ,as you pull it goes deeper in the sand and serves as a deadman .
They have to be pretty small ,the way you retrieve them is drive up until your winch is over the chain link and then pick straight up with your winch.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Ron,
A sand anchor would have the blade attached at an angle to the shaft so it would head for China when pulled. At 90 degrees it will just pull across the top of the sand won't it?
I'll bet it it for pulling or pushing something in a trough or chute that is about the same radius that is on this tool's blade.
Bob