What lumber to make stem? | SouthernPaddler.com

What lumber to make stem?

getherdone

Apr 21, 2007
clearwater fl
I'am new to the forum.
What size is the wood and type?Is it a 2x4? I've got the uj plans.Already
made the ribs.Got all plywood.Made a stem out of 2x4 seems small.
Any help would be great.

ronniebms

Sep 5, 2006
Patterson, Ca
Hello Getherdone,

I bought the UJ kit so i'm not familar with the construction of the stems, but the stems in the kit measure aprox. 1 1/2 " x 2 5/8 " largest dim. at the end.

I hope this helps...

Brgds,

Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've never done the UJ pirogue, but there are some critical angles cut into the stems. I understand that the angle of separation of the sides at each end are critical to the configuration of the boat.

Maybe Chuck or Matt can be of much more help?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am not going to be much help since I get the kits with the end pieces already cut. Main reason is that I don't have the proper gear to cut them out for myself.

I would say they are cut from a 2 x 2 , they sure look like they would be from a 2x2

Chuck.

keith

I make stems and I make stems. I dont make uj stems. We are not going to the moon, just down the creek. I make them out of a 4 x 4 (3-1/2 x 3-1/2) and I make out of 2 x 4's and 1 x 4's. They all work, the 4 x 4 is cut @33 angle and the 1 x 4 is cut @ 45 angle. you can even wire the ends together (1/4" plywood) without a stem. In any case you just open the sides to the angle you want, sit it on your table. If it has to much rock, lay a 2 x 4 flat on the table, mark it and trim to fit. Later keith

getherdone

Apr 21, 2007
clearwater fl
Thanks for all the info guys.I made some stems today. They are going to
work 2x4 was okay.Just took some wood to figure out.I've built alot of r/c
boats.I know the stitch and glue boat building just a smaller scale.