When life gives you mucho mangos... | SouthernPaddler.com

When life gives you mucho mangos...

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Make Mango Bread.
Lately I have been able to get alot of very good mangos at a very good price from the stores near by (Sam's, box of 9 for $6.50). I like to make mango bread with them when I get alot of them. I usually make two loafs at a time, cuz my girl makes me give one to her, now her daughter wants me to make her a loaf also.
You can google "mango bread recipe" and get alot of recipes that are all pretty much the same. Tho, some add raisins, some add coconut, some use walnuts........
This is the one I use. (makes one loaf)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 loaf (bread) pan.

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (I use Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice)
2 chopped fresh ripe mangos.
1 cup sliced almonds

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking sode, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the ingredients. Whisk together in a small bowl the eggs, oil and lemon juice, and pour the mixture into the well in the dry ingredients. Mix them together, but do not over mix. Add chopped mangos and mix them in. Then add the almonds and mix them in. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 65-70 minutes, until a bread knife inserted into the center comes out clean (The time usually runs me about 90 minutes, depending on how juicy the mangos are).
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and let cool another 10 minutes before slicing.
Can be served warm, room temperature, cold out of the fridge or toasted and add a bit of butter.

This is mine, now go make your own.
mangobread.jpg

Quick somebody go get Jarvis, because this is some good eating.

DM

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Dang Mouse! Ya done good! My Grandaughter and me love mangos.....I'll make this for her!.............and me! :wink:

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
I like to make a Mango, Sauerkraut & Habinero relish. I use it on hotdogs for football season. ....of course I have no friends on Monday or Tuesday mornin's :shock: :lol:

1 lg onion chopped
peel and chop 2 mangos
chop 1 habinero pepper (with or without the seeds.....your choice)
1 lg can of sauerkraut
4 Tblspn vinegar
2 Tblspn brown sugar
salt pepper to taste.

& 5 gal bucket of cheap vanilla ice cream (....or your fav flavor)

sautee the onion in a lil' oil or butter. Mix the next 6 ingredients in the pan and simmer for a minimum of 30 min. (CAUTION....don't lean your head over the pan :oops: ) serve over cooked hotdogs or sausage, with your choice of condiments (ie. ketchup, mustard, onion, jalepenos....). eat with your favorite malt beverage. :twisted: ....next mornin', while your running to the bathroom, grab the last ingredient.....you'll figure out how to use it. :lol:

....this was my bar's speciality for 6yrs. of Mon nite football ....no , not until someone died, just until I sold the bar. :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
HoHoHo....You bet your arse I'll be making some of this P4R's! That is kick ass! I'll be serving that watching the Steelers this year. Maybe I'll print it off and give it to the Ladies in the kitchen at the American Legion. They like making different stuff for football games at the bar.

When Dad was alive, he was a hot pepper nut. Chili Head. He grew many kinds and Habanero was one. We used to make a mango/habanero sauce. It was good. Yours looks better. Thanks!

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Hey P4R's
I will be giving that recipe a shot also, lots of Hab & Mango recipes out there.
I will probably use Scotch Bonnet peppers instead of hab's, I have them in my back yard. Used to grow hab's & Datil also, all three are close to the same wicked heat, but all have a slightly different flavor.

Years back on the Food Network channel, there was a show called "Calling All Cooks" where the hosts would go to a viewer"s house and the viewer would prepare a recipe that they invented, has been in the family for years, they are famous for, or it is just plain good. One episode had a recipe for "Mango Pie", have never tried it yet, but it sure looked good. It was always easier to just make the bread, maybe in a few weeks I will give it a shot.

Till then if you feel adventurous, heres a link to the recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11526,00.html?rsrc=search

DM

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock: :D

Hey thaks for the recipes fellers. :D

We got a couple of mango trees in my yard and nearly every year I have to throw out several trailer loads of the things cause we can't eat them fast enough or even give them away. Everybody round here has their own mango trees. :D

I generally just peel them and slice the fruit off the seed and place into plastic containers and freeze. We can have mango all year that way. Goes real good with vanilla icecream.

PFR your recipe sounds brilliant will definately be trying that one this season. I woould never have thought of mango bread either. Will be doing that one real soon. :D