wide strips for SS&g | SouthernPaddler.com

wide strips for SS&g

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Any downside to using, say, a 2x4 cut to give 3 1/2" wide strips for panels for a SS&G? I'll probably try a pirogue next with this method. I know narrow strips are a must for curvy canoe and kayak shapes but a pirogue doesn't have those curves.

I'm thinking it would maybe even look more in keeping with the traditional plank hull like the carvel planked sailboats. They relied on heavy frames and caulked seams because that is what they had to work with.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Making straight or rectangular panels work if you're building without much side flare. Once you get up to a nice flare, the arc that you have to cut out of the bottom of the sides causes the strips to not be parallel to the water line and the boat (in my opinion) looks to be a bit "hogged". It will certainly work but may not have the appearance you're after.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I use 1 inch strips to make the one pirogue by using redwood. I do not think the size of the strips mattered since they were used to make a single flat panel the same as if it was cut from a sheet of plywood. I used all the strips to make the side panels and then the bottom.
So 1 inch or 3inch or 5 inch strips would work.

Here is a picture of one of the panels made from the strips.
pirogue%20005.jpg

For more of the step by step information , the build was in March ,2006.
Here is the link to that build.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2417

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Seedtick, I'll probably be going with less swag cutout and less flair in the future. I've found that I don't care for the extra overall width that a wide flair gives. For me, it takes away some of the easy-handling features that is the whole reason for using a small boat. Different strokes.

Ron, I had considered that the strips might warp. It would be a good thing to get the epoxy and glass on quickly.

Chuck, I figure I'll just use whatever size I can find readily in clear wood. It's good to have options.

I might look into some growback cypress. It's not nearly the same stuff as real old growth stuff, but it is still some nice looking wood and should be available locally.

Seedtick, if you and keith ever come across some sycamore boards that I can cut some quartersawn pieces out of, let me know.

Joey