Wild mushrooms | SouthernPaddler.com

Wild mushrooms

islandpiper

I know very little about a lot of things and up near the top of that list is WILD MUSHROOMS.

People have been asking me (on another forum) if there are Morels and "Reds" in the swamp. I know what a morel looks like and would feel safe collecting them. What the heck are Reds? How do you know what to collect safely? Trial and error may not be the best way to learn this. So, your guidance will be appreciated.

thanks, Piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
I knew a guy that used to pick his mushrooms from around cow pies. He used to see big purple frogs and all sorts of other crazy stuff after drinking his mushroom tea. He has been dead for many years now. Stay away from cow pies.
Bob

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Wannabe said:
Piper,
I knew a guy that used to pick his mushrooms from around cow pies. He used to see big purple frogs and all sorts of other crazy stuff after drinking his mushroom tea. He has been dead for many years now. Stay away from cow pies.
Bob

OK, now that's just funny. I don't care who ya are.... :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The thing they were doing around here was making a tea out of them......... by using the psychedelic mushrooms. The active ingredient in the mushrooms is psilocybin.

Stay away from any growing around the edges of a cow pie , that is where these are found and they will knock a person on there butt. I use to catch the kids in the pastures picking them , busted them for trespassing and most of them did not know if there where on this planet or someplace else. They were eating them , fresh picked.
In Florida it is an illegal hallucinatory item and can be charged under the narcotics Laws for procession.

Chuck.
"O" by the way the ones that are very deadly also grow there now and then. :oops: