Woodgate - paddlin,fishin&walkin in the bush | SouthernPaddler.com

Woodgate - paddlin,fishin&walkin in the bush

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Robin and I just got back from Woodgate again. Our leave is rapidly getting used up and we both have about a week of it left.

We snuck up there to our favourite little cabin for a couple of days. paddled and fished the first day.

IMGP0919013640x480.jpg

IMGP0918012640x480.jpg

IMG_1957034640x480.jpg

Had some beers :p

DSCF2314013640x480.jpg

and a poppy nap :lol:

IMGP0932008640x480.jpg

Next day, we did a little bush walking through some melaleuka forest. I understand these trees have become a pest in some parts of the US. They are native here and form a very important part of our coastal swamp ecosystems.

IMGP0938014640x480.jpg

IMGP0954030640x480.jpg

The walk continued on through some banksia forest

bushwalk640x480.jpg

and eventually came back to our shady park :D

This is the camp site part of it.

IMGP0947023640x480.jpg

Where we saw some of the locals goofing off in the shade,

DSCF2317016640x480.jpg

IMGP0948024640x480.jpg

Oh yeah, We are pretty pleased with the way this one came out too.

Woodgate01640x480.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
That river reminds me of the ones in northern Missouri that I floated and fished some years ago. The sandy beaches the gentle slope to the current. Oh and fishing when I wasn't hung up in the branches on the bank like you too were right. Had to be snagged as we saw no fish piccies.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The melaleuka ( Tea Oil Tree) has become a real pest in the south end of Florida , it is destroying all of the natural vegetation and sucking up the water like someone in the dessert. They are doing everything they can do to get rid of it but it is beating them. It is a losing battle.

It is nice to see you and Robin out having some fun and relaxing , that is the best thing that either of you could do.

It still amasses me how much your area looks like the ones over here that I enjoy. We could transplant our selves and still feel at home except for the locals in the shade , the one picture had , we don't have them running around on there own ......yet.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G,day Jack, :D

You two really know how to enjoy yourselves together. Good on ya.

When we go back to work, we will be on opposite shifts again for a while, so we are making the most of our time off together. we are going back to Woodgate for a couple more days on Monday. It is our favourite little bolt hole.- Right on the beach, no high rise development - yet and very close to the creek and our Burrum river mouth. 8)

G'day Ozzie,

Oh and fishing when I wasn't hung up in the branches on the bank like you too were right. Had to be snagged as we saw no fish piccies.

:lol: No snag mate ( that time) :lol: just a small bream. :D

IMG_1958035640x480.jpg

G'day Chuck,

The melaleuka ( Tea Oil Tree) has become a real pest in the south end of Florida , it is destroying all of the natural vegetation and sucking up the water like someone in the dessert

they suck all the water out of our swamps too mate.

The leaves, timber and bark are very good for smoking food. The timber is also very, very good for woodturning. if you have access to a sawmill, it lends itself very well to bending, is very hard and strong but might be a little heavy to use in paddlecraft.

They are doing everything they can do to get rid of it but it is beating them. It is a losing battle.

It is a losing battle mate. They not only regenerate from seed but also send suckers up from the roots. Cut the tree down and leave the roots in the ground and a heap of new trees will only spring up.

It still amasses me how much your area looks like the ones over here that I enjoy. We could transplant our selves and still feel at home

I have often thought the same thing from many of your posts. Queensland is very quick;y becoming Australia's version of Florida re development etc.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,

I don't know what Chuck's co-ordinates are but mine are near enough to 25:20 South X 152:35E. That puts me about 130 nautical miles south of the Tropic of Capricorn. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
That puts me about 130 nautical miles south of the Tropic of Capricorn.
I figger the High Sheriff wuz born under the sign of the Crab.....in the year of the goat on the Chinamen calendar. When he wuz at art college, he wuz in that "Hair" show. These days he'd have ta wear a wig. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. Dorothy

Ernie

Jan 29, 2006
Central Texas
Mick,
Sure enjoy your post's and pictures!Especially the picture of(Had some beers)!Been knowed to have a beer or two myself! :lol:
Ernie