Work Shop Ideas | SouthernPaddler.com

Work Shop Ideas

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I was thinking of building bow roof shed 14' x 24' on a wooden pier platform base and covering with corrugated roofing material. The carport is becoming too crowded, too cold or hot, and too many mosquitoes. Besides the wife has some remodeling ideas :roll:

I just wondering if anyone had ideas on size, construction methods, etc.

Thanks, John

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I have looked at the big store offerings, internet,etc. The bow shed plan by Stimson Marine is basically a Gothic Arch Greenhouse. It appears to be simple, quick, and cheaper than some of the alternatives but that is just my initial impression.

I was really wanting to know what you fellas build in.

John

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Figure out what size you think you will need, then double it. You can never have too much space.

Mike

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
John, one thing to consider about an arched roof and walls. It sucks to hang things off of them. I have a 10'x16' portable building with a barn style roof. The vertical walls are only about 4' tall. You can't stand a ladder against them or hang a ladder from them. Shovels, rakes and other long handled tools are awkward to store. Shelving is awkward to hang. I would imagine curved walls and roof would behave much the same. Just something to think about.

Joey

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Joey, The curved roof had caused me some concern about working with the sides. The longest boat I envision building is probably 16' so 24' in length should serve well for now. If my lot was bigger I would put up something much larger but there are always design parameters.

JEM

I'm looking at a similar project. Found a local guy that nothing but sheds. For $4k I can have a shed your size with a shingle roof, doors on each end, and a couple windows. I'd have to paint it myself or plop down another $500.

Thought about building myself from a kit but I just don't have the time or help.

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Hi John, about two years ago I built a 12x16 foot shed (that was all the space I had) I made the walls 9.5 ft. high with a peaked roof, the inside height from floor to ridge pole is 13' 10". I strung treated 2x4's across the rafters and used corrugated sheet metal. So there's an opening all the way around the roof the thickness of the 2x4's. The high ceiling and opening all around let the heat out in the summer so it's not like an oven in there, for winter heating I have a small wood stove. The opening around the roof edge is good for letting smoke and solvent fumes escape. It cost right at $3000. to build, I bought the materials at Lowe's and I did all the building. It's now a small machine shop and sits on 43 cinder blocks, I have to get about 5 more blocks under it still. James