Workbench | SouthernPaddler.com

Workbench

WadeT

Jul 7, 2008
Tolono IL
Well here I go....the build begins tomarow. I have noticed that everyone uses diffrent types of workbenches. What is the perfered dimentions for a workbench to build a Laker on or where online can I find them.
Thnks to all.
Wade T

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I've personally just built on sawhorses. Sometimes link the two sawhorses together so as to maintain a square flat surface.

Of course I have some table space in the shop for working on small parts like ribs and such, and for laying out cuts on plywood I normally work on the floor because it would take such a monster bench to support the panels for a boat.

But as far as the actual assembly of the hull, sawhorses.

It'll be interesting to see what some of the Masters say about this. We may be fixin' to learn something here...

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I used sawhorses for several builds then the wife decided to fill up the side of the shop where I make the boats. It was the only area in the shop where you could walk around and not trip over things.
So the plywood is resting on a couple of old tables and some WW-II Footlockers that were my fathers. The rest of her junk is stored under the tables. One of the old night stands makes a great place to put the tools , epoxy and other stuff. :lol:

Chuck.

dawallace45

I find sawhorses way too low for me , not bending over is much better , my bench is 16' long , 2 ' wide and a little over 3' high , I do have a couple of sling contraptions on stands that I screw down to the sawhorses when I need to work on the inside and I need the hight to be different , most of my gear is set up to avoid working bent over or stooped

David

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
My regular workbench is 40 by 80 inches. For marking the plywood, I laid a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood over that. For splicing the panels and assembly, I have two 2 foot by 8 foot tabletops made of 1/4 inch plywood framed with 1x4's that can be put together to make a 2x16 foot tabletop. I set that on top of my regular bench, but it could also be supported by sawhorses.

Jimmy

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
My last build I used 3 sets of 3 cinder blocks stacked up with a 16'X2' pressboard top. Ran 2"X4"'s along the sides to stiffen it all up. Worked pretty good. Somewhere around here I've got pictures of it. Will have to dig them up.