Workshop vacuum cleaner | SouthernPaddler.com

Workshop vacuum cleaner

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Does anyone else use a workshop vacuum cleaner? I can't justify an integrated system but have had my eye on an Earlex wet-n-dry machine designed for workshops. I went out and invested in one and I'm a happy camper.

It is a vertical cylinder around 14" dia and about 2' tall on castors. It has a large central filter and a long hose (say 12'). This model draws about 1100W. It also comes with an adapter so you can plug directly into the dust port on a band saw, planer, router, random orbital sander etc. This one was about £40 ($80). For an extra £40 I could get a machine where you plug the tool into the vacuum and it only turns on when you fire up the power tool. For the extra eighty bucks I reckon I can turn it on myself. Also, that model draws 2000W. My router also draws 2kW and my limit on each socket is the UK standard at around 3kW.

Anyway I tried it tonight while prepping the inside of the boat with the RO sander. WITH THEM BOTH RUNNING IT'S A BIT LOUD. THE EARLEX ITSELF SOUNDS LIKE A JET ENGINE AND THE SANDER JUST ADDS TO THE EFFECT. It does make all the difference though. As you sand all the epoxy/glass dust goes straight up the spout. I would recommend it but get a pair of your old shooting ear defenders to protect your hearing!

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I did the same thing stevesteve but with a small shop vac. Works like a champ for keeping the garage clean.

piroguetips03.jpg