Yahoo ...... Chicken N Biscuits | SouthernPaddler.com

Yahoo ...... Chicken N Biscuits

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yahoo Recipes had this and it sounded so good and simple to make , I had to put it over here for safe keeping till I can try it in a day or two.
(Sweet Sue has the premium chicken breast ,98%fat free, already cooked and in 7oz packages at the grocery store. Same area you find the tuna and the rest packaged or canned goodies at , including those little rotten fish in the roll off or zip of lid cans.)

Chuck.

112507_yr_feature.jpg

1. Ingrediants
1. 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
2. 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
3. 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
4. 3/4 cup milk
5. 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
6. 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
7. 1 1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
8. 2/3 cup milk
9. 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onions

Nutrition Info Per Serving

* Calories: 796 kcal
* Carbohydrates: 41 g
* Dietary Fiber: 3 g
* Fat: 50 g
* Protein: 44 g
* Sugars: 4 g

2. Cooking Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the vegetables, chicken, soup, milk, 1 cup cheese and bacon if desired. Pour into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20-22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Top with onions and remaining cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'll have to go look it up, but I think Betty Crocker (or some such artificial-type kitchen lady) has a series of "magic" recipes. Difference is you put the mixed up Bisquick in the pan first, artfully dump in the other ingredients, and bake it. During baking, the magic is that the biscuits end up on TOP and brown when all done.

I wanted to work this in camp, but it takes either (A) an oven over the camp stove, or (B) a cast iron Dutch oven. Whilst I stoutly prefer to cook everything in cast iron, my paddling buddies no longer wish to portage the 11 pound oven. How utterly INCONSIDERATE of them!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I have not tried it as of yet , but will in a day or two. Now doing what I do the best (besides tide charts , they will mess with anyones mind) which is thinking about cooking on a river bank , I believe I have the answer. It is as simple as the nose on oldyakers face.

Everything is already cooked except for the biscuits. So putting all of it in a Dutch oven is nothing more the warming it up , the cooking is with the biscuits.

Not ... I repeat ..... NOT .....following the instructions or a little if you wanted to ..... Throw everything in the Dutch oven and heat it up .... Mix up the dumplings , take off the lid and put them in there , put the lid back and a few coals on the top ... let it cook for about 30 minutes and have supper. This is not rocket science , just something tasty.

Paula Dean cooks biscuits ( Cornbread ones ) with her chicken and all she does is put them in there and cover the pot when the rest is done , the steam does the cooking along with the heat from what is cooking...... I really think it could be cooked in a chicken cooker (a Dutch Oven with a handle and a lid ) or any pot with a lid.

Thinking about the Sept trip and having some goodies while out on the island........ Hell , I have to do something (Choke , gasp , hack , cough , gag , nice ....did I say nice ? to make you Yankees remember I was there with you for the trip ). So I was thinking about filling ya bottomless pits called stomaches with some good southern cooking. :lol: :lol: :lol: Working it out here before hand..........

Yep... We will have a lot of fun and some good eats , none of that Eye-ta-lion stuff. "O"oooop's ... Yaker will be there , I think. No Sweat .. I have a coffee pot for him to cook the se-gett-i in. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
... thinking about cooking on a river bank , I believe I have the answer. It is as simple as the nose on old yakers face.
Now that I think about it, Chuck, I think that Ole Yaker had his nose set to Magnetic North instead of True North. That may be the reason you screwed up the tide so bad. I heard a couple of cruise-boat captains that went by us complaining that they thought the tide was running bass ackwards too.

Miji is one place you can afford to carry a cast iron Dutch oven. Base camping requires no portages. Besides, you'll be cooking for yourself on the way to and from. (Now THERE is a scary thought!)

( I'm a survivor , made a trip with you and yak and am still here , worse yet you guys are still here after eating my cooking , several times :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Chuck)

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yak what is wrong with Chucky . I think I got the notion he don,t like them little rotten fish in the cans either . He dont like oyster s , guess he has eaten too many gritz & turnips.

You guys are making me hungry with all those recipees.
Yak we didn,t have no ribs today, but had sausage , steaks cooked on open pit & all the trimmings. Had some good ole homemade icecream to top everything off. Yum Yum :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well , it was off to the store and pick up what I needed for this so we will try it for supper tonight.

It ran almost $10.00 for everything , The Sweet Sue Chicken in the pouches were two for five bucks. Save a lot if you have some left over cooked chicken on hand.

If this turns out to be good then the next time I do some chicken on the grill , toss a couple of extra chunks on there for the next day to be boned out ... to make this.

Cheating on the biscuits , got the Bisquick instant Buttermilk Biscuit Mix , just add water. HEY ... It works good when out camping. :D

They say this makes 6 servings so I am thinking that is for Yankees , so it should make 3 servings for us southerners when we go camping , we will find out.

If the wife and especially pups likes it then I know you guys would when out camping. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Iron Chef Chuck,

Why not jest a can of Sweet Sue chicken 'n dumplings, the fried onion rings 'n precooked bacon?

( That is good for folks that have no idea on how to cook things , do not forget the canned dog food called Ditty More Stew ... Chuck )

regards
bearridge

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Iron Chef Chuck,

Why not jest a can of Sweet Sue chicken 'n dumplings, the fried onion rings 'n precooked bacon?

Bear , Really get real :twisted: , Smell the roses , I should of expected something like that from a person who thinks MRE,S ( Meals Rejected by Everyone ) and actually eats those fowl things on camping trips would come up with that idea. Some folks have there taste buds in there feet.:lol:

This is almost a reversed version of a Chicken Pot Pie and it is Dam Good.... If you do like the recipe tells you. It sure beats the hell out of the canned stuff in every way , unless you like the canned flavor or MRE'S , then you can have the canned ones and I will have the good , tasty , fresh , home cooked ones.

Just don't come over looking really sorry with a plate and spoon in your hand, that works for pups but no one else when it comes to this recipe , no sir , no way . :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I enjoyed the canned Sweet Sue chicken 'n dumplings ya brung on that trip 'n shared. Some of the new MREs beat 'em, but not by much. :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jest open can, heat dumplings 'n weeeee dooogie! How long did it take ta heat 'em.....5 minutes? I reckon ya coulda yelled "Bam". :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got me on that one , they are a old stand by for me on a trip ,something Mac taught me how to cook. Lordy , everyone knows he can't even boil water. :oops:

Since all of us need to drop some pounds , we will have you and Mac cook all the meals on the next trip , providing it ain't for more then three days.

Oldyaker .. Does that sound like a good idea ???????

Chuckles

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Got me on that one
Friend Ole Sparkey,

Git up off yer knees 'n dont do it agin. At the Lost Mines last October, I found my favorite "new" MRE....Beef Teriyaki". Ask Swamprat how good the MRE.v.01 are. We all got Viking Ranges 'n Ice Boxes back home. On the river, it dont take near bout az much ta make yer belly smile.

Next time we join up at Miz Ann's, I may bring my wok. Iron Chef Lo Mein haz made the Smokies tremble before. :wink: But first, it iz high time ta bring in some top drawer bone-in rib eye fer cookin' over some pecan wood embers. I know a place where the drug dealers buy fine steak ta bribe the doctors. Lord can they lay out a spread!

Are ya'll droolin' yet?

regards
bearridge

ps Lord I sho am sorry I tole that one....'n bless all the little pygmies down in Los Angeles.

The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist. Marion Barry

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Since all of us need to drop some pounds , we will have you and Mac cook all the meals on the next trip , providing it ain't for more then three days.
Friend ole sparkey,

Ya need ta hit the roads, shove yer fat arse away frum the table before ya eat too much 'n cut down on the fried 'n high calorie food at home. Shed fat there 'n enjoy the good life like a glutton on the river. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

ps Iron Chef Mac 'n I accept yer challenge. [bows head]

I guess yer gonna want a fancy funeral wontcha. Woodrow Coll

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
... Cheating on the biscuits , got the Bisquick instant Buttermilk Biscuit Mix , just add water. HEY ... It works good when out camping. :D ...
It has been my experience that, there ain't nothing in the line of camp bread stuffs that can't be made with Bisquick. Biscuits are good - and reliable. Dumplings are properly heavy and chewy.

If ya screw up and burn it hard and it gets like armor plating, just grind it up and call it gritz. Burnt Bisquick and axle grease - yum YUM!