you all should be proud!! | SouthernPaddler.com

you all should be proud!!

bobber

Aug 1, 2006
northwest arkansas
looking thru the photos of all the work you have done on some pretty fine looking crafts!! for the true love of paddling a hand-made boat !! my hat goes off to each and everyone of the builders out there! and you all should be very proud! some very nice looking boats.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, but, did you notice there are no pictures of mine? My workmanship is pretty cobby. Looks a lot like a 5th grade shop project. My forte is telling the truth. Been doing it over 200 years now.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I was wondering.... can you use epoxy dust to make filet material with? I guess I got a little carried away with some almost cured epoxy and had to sand alot off. :oops:

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Well, I have run out of epoxy trying to make-up for the creases in the glass and have sanded, primed, and put on my first color coat. I love my boat!... all the flaws and all the problems, I love my boat. I will be putting the second coat on tomorrow and starting the gunnel paint also. I know you guys won't like the color but I am painting it seafoam green with yellow gunnels... kind of a Mexican-Jamaican thing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is not what we like , it is what do you like. Everyone does not drive a Ford, some of us drive other vehicles because we like them, same with the boats , either a natural finish or with some color of paint that the builder likes.

To put it in plain english ........ What ever floats your boat. :lol: After all it is your boat.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Look at it this way, Bullhead, if you ever have to call in the Coast Guard for rescue, they'll recognize you readily.

Of course, they then may rethink trying to rescue anybody bonkers enough to paddle a bodacious boat like that. But, your chances are fairly good you'll never need them anyway. Besides, you can brag all the way to shore.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Bobber,

For me, time spent building a boat is irrelevant. I just love to do it. :D If you are a first time builder, count on significantltly more hours than those quoted in the literature that comes with the plans. (It always seems to take me a lot longer anyway)

While I haven't built one yet, I reckon a simple pirogue could be built in about 40 hours. Probably much less than that for some of the gurus here. I would be surprised if I could do it in less than that. A lot depends on the quality of the finish you are trying to achieve and how fancy you and the woodwork.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Every job has three phases:
Set up
Operational
Clean up

The following items somehow never make it into the manufacturer's estimates:
1. To build a boat, there are repeated set up & clean up phases. They are handily ignored.
2. There's also time to just set and cogitate about "WTH do I do next?"
3. Oops! Now I gotta take that apart and do it again.
4. Standing, dreaming of the boat all finished, you in it, on the water.
5. Explaining to friends and neighbors just how easy it is to do all these seemingly complex tasks. "See this canoogat valve over here? Now, it fits into the thingamabob you have in your hand. When assembled, they will tumble the gyro into a static port of the pitot tube, thereby ..."
6. Waiting for epoxy to set up.
7. Removing the neighbor's cat from the mostly set up epoxy inside your boat.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
7. Removing the neighbor's cat.
Friend Kayak Jack,

Best ta keep a tight lip on that. :roll:

regards
bearridge
bodine ornithologikle society

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. Gus McCrae

islandpiper

cats

Bearridge......whenever I have to de-epoxy a cat I just use my hands, never tried the tight-lip method. But, I'm covering Pirogue #2 later today if I can get it sanded and I'll be watching for the cat then.

Had a similar experience once, set my beer down on the bottom and had to tip the whole boat up to get the last of the beer out. That can caused some drag later but did generate some interest when I car-topped the boat through town and served as a bottom-finder when the water got shallow.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A few years ago when I built the Katie Bug, a canoe for both my Granddaughter and me, I started my tradition. I put her and my hand print into the raw wood on the inside, bottom of the boat. Along with name & date.

We spread a hand, drew around it in pencil, then I filled it in w/ permanent magic marker. Epoxy & glass are over it, & it looks kinda neat.

I'll put a hand print - just like the ancients did with cave art - in my boats from now on. It says, "I was here."

Or, you could do a "Kilroy was here" motif.