Zebra Wood in a paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Zebra Wood in a paddle

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I received some small boards of Zebra Wood from my nephew in Texas and decided to piece some into a paddle blade.

IMG_2496_4.jpg

Came out nice I think.

IMG_2498_1.jpg

Here's the whole paddle

IMG_2501.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is such an ugly paddle I would suggest you send it to someone ...... Like me ...... since I would not be embarrassed when using it.
By the way I will even pay the postage to save you the embarrassment of being seen with it in public. Plus , I promise I will never tell anyone where it came from or who made it to save you that grief and maintain your reputation for making beautiful paddles.
No need to thank me , that is what friends are for..... :wink:

Chuck.
Dam , That is one beautiful paddle it would be a shame to get it wet , you have out done your self.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
With the thin blade that I make for this double bent paddle I do fiberglass the blade. Too fragile otherwise. I did laminate the shaft, just like the way it looks but the blade is solid zebra wood. I think I'll make a straight paddle from the boards I have next and see what I can come up with. I'll saw this one into small enough pieces so I can fit it into one of those USPS one price boxes and send it on to Chuck. :D

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
While I was in the Zebra wood section I decided why not make a straight paddle to match the double bent one.

IMG_2519.jpg

Still have to glass the tip and add some more epoxy but it looks all right for "home made"..... :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
buckisland1950 said:
I'll saw this one into small enough pieces so I can fit it into one of those USPS one price boxes and send it on to Chuck. :D

OK... Use a bigger box and send BOTH of them.

Do me a favor .... Label the parts , angled and straight so I know how to resemble them.

Those are some really mighty fine looking paddles , don't let them lay around or they will surely disappear. I have to ask.... What is the strip of the withe or ivory colored wood running down the blade , it really accents the rest of the blade. Makes the blade look like it is a feather and not actual wood.

IMG_2519.jpg

Chuck.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
That's just some poplar that I have around the shop. I wanted the blade a little wider than I cut the slanted strips so I had to add. I really do like the way it came out. Used the bent paddle this past weekend and it worked great. Hopefully have this one finished and use it on the Suwannee this coming weekend.