Zydeco 16 pirogue from Applegate Boatworks | SouthernPaddler.com

Zydeco 16 pirogue from Applegate Boatworks

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Hello everyone. I am a huge fan of this forum and have been trying to take in all the great advice that so many of you give so generously. I have been trying to decide on some plans to use for my first build and was wondering if anyone here has built the Zydeco 16. I see a lot of UJ's and really like the looks of both. Any pictures or replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

Junebug

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Hello Ozark,

Thanks for the welcome. I am not dead set on the Zydeco but I do like the extra width it offers but only about three inches. It is a stitch and glue build and I don't know what to try for a first time project like this. Both the UJ and the Zydeco are good looking. Is one going to be simpler that the other?

Thanks,
Junebug

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Welcome, junebug. In deciding which boat to build, you should figure how you are going to use it the majority of the time. If you like a more stability and are not going to paddle several miles at a time, go with the wider beam. If you like to really get out there and cover some territory, go as narrow as you can stand. You do get used to a narrower boat as you use it , so what feels really tippy the first day gradually becomes comfortable after a few trips.

What people don't usually think about when talking about speed and efficiency is that if you are willing to give up about 1 to 1 1/2 mph of cruising speed, almost any reasonably sized boat will work. To paraphrase the old racer's saying " Speeds costs--how fast do you want to go?". The cost to us paddlers is effort. If you are willing and able to put out more effort on every stroke, you can gain an extra mph of cruising speed. If you're OK with traveling 2.5 mph, you might be more comfortable with a wider design.

I've built 2 pirogues - 12' x 24" and 16' x 25" and also bought a 15.5' x 36" plastic canoe. The hands down favorite is the 16' x25" pirogue. Does everything well and I've gotten more comfortable with the initial tippyness.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Junebug ... Welcome to the nut house. :lol:

I have made several of the UJ Pirogues and really like them for exploring , camping , fishing or just goofing off out on the water.

They are faster then my canoe , but not as speedy as my really skinny and long sea kayak. The pirogue is a happy combination of both of them and idea for backwaters and rivers. Plus a pirogue can be paddled with a single paddle or a kayak paddle depending on which you like or just use both.

The pirogue will ease over logs and the rest that a canoe gets hung up on .... the guys were ready to strangle me in the Okefenokee. I paddled along without a problem and they keep getting hung up on stumps and the rest. All our boats were loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear.

If you haven't paddled one the 1st time you get in it you will feel like you are going to go swimming but it is not true. I suggest for a 1st time person to wear a bathing suit and try to tip it over so you know how far you can lean it before you get wet. Best to it in shallow water , it makes it more fun that way. :D

As far as to which one to make .... the answer is easy ... The one you like the best and want to make.

Chuck.

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
I don't know much but I would prefer the Uncle John's simply because you dont have to use thwarts. Or whatever you call those brace thingies that the Zydeco boats have.

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome and some great things to think about. I am not so much interested in speed but I am interested in being able to carry gear for whatever season thru some shallow water as well as small but deeper rivers and creeks.

Chuck, it has already started out fun in the nut house. Thanks.

Junebug

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
junebug said:
Chuck, it has already started out fun in the nut house. Thanks.

Junebug

Feel free to ask questions, Junebug. We are more than happy to answer them. We're even more happier to answer questions that you DON'T ask. :wink: :lol: We do tend to ramble from time to time.

Joey