1 days and counting down | SouthernPaddler.com

1 days and counting down

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack is going to be here the 9th Of March Shennas dad is coming over and hopefully James Hager we will have a mini rendezvous .
The next morning we will be headed up to Possum Kingdom dam to put in for a week on the Brazos
Our pace will be pretty flexible , told Jack we will go til we whoa and the whoa till we go. We need time to explore, communicate with the spirits of the comanches and other tribes that were in this area visit the sight of the last massacre of whites by indians in Texas. Retrace the route of the book Death of a river.
Maybe smoke a cigar are two and have a little adult beverages around a campfire Jack with his scotch and me with the more gentile drink.
This will be the second leg of the dream trip
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I bought a box of Dago Red yesterday (Chateau de Cardboard vino). We can sup on choice pasta dishes replete with excess garlic, swoon to didgeridoo music wafting across the prairies and up the canyons (bears no relationship to actually "yodelling up a canyon"), and scent the air with cheap seegar smoke.

Ron n I already arm rasseld for who starts out telling tall tales, and he won. SO I hafta go first (first liar doesn't stand a chance rules in effect, I suppose.) Cap'n Meriwether will be proud of me, I know.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Ron the picture taking will probably be your responsibility as Jack don't really care too. We need evidence ya know of his Tom Foolery so be ready at all times to capture the antics. This would not be the time for rubber snakes or scorpions so leave them home. We need real life happenings not staged events.
I too wish there was a way to join the trip even if for a couple of days but unfortunately that wont be.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron take lots of cotton , the more the better it is an undisputed necessity when paddling and camping with Jack. Just before you are siting around the campfire place lots of it in each ear then cover the ears with bandages ( which you said you always have with you ). Now you are prepared for the evening.

NO.... Not for his snoring , that any living thing can stand , it is sort of soft and melodious or mellow like a babbling brook in the moonlight.

It's his ( SINGING ) or attempting to.

Chuck
It has only been 10 months since our last trip and the Doc's tell me 50% of my hearing has returned. They say it is good progress and for me not to give up hope about having normal hearing again.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
We are going to be camping on sand and gravel bars that usually means pretty swift water lot of noise, and I picked my tent carefully it is free standing and I can just pick it up and move off a couple hundred yard
besides you know that yankee scent might draw the buzzards and hogs in and if he starts singing the varmints would have to think something was in death throos.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron & Jack...

I wish you guy's have a pleasant trip and one hell of a good time. :D If anything I'm envious of you for being able to do that at this time. This is the time of the year to be on the water down here.

Since I can't even pick up a paddle to do any paddling , right now. Much less picking up one of the boats and putting it on the Jeep , Dam Doctors and there restrictions.

If I lived closer I would of enjoyed doing the shuttle for you so there would not be any car juggling or phone calls to make.

Heck it would of been a pleasure to have a camp set up at the end of the run and a hot supper ready for you guy's when you got off the water.

Before you even say it or think it......Let Me..... Yep , I can be nice , I live to far from there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all honesty.... Please file a report and include a lot of pictures , Ron you will have to show Jack how to use your camera. (see I can't even behave when being nice)

Chuck.
PS. DON'T DRINK THE TEA..... It ain't tea in that bottle and if you will keep a weary eye out you will see it is only full in the mornings. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ron.......Feel free to use Jacks dark amber bottle as your relief bottle at night. He uses the the yellow lemonade colored one for drinking. :roll:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It is raining like crazy here , I hope we don,t get to much and river come up. Packing my stuff and getting ready to go.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
710 AM CST MON MAR 3 2008

TXZ091>095-100>107-115>123-129>135-141>148-156>162-174-175-041200-
MONTAGUE-COOKE-GRAYSON-FANNIN-LAMAR-YOUNG-JACK-WISE-DENTON-COLLIN-
HUNT-DELTA-HOPKINS-STEPHENS-PALO PINTO-PARKER-TARRANT-DALLAS-
ROCKWALL-KAUFMAN-VAN ZANDT-RAINS-EASTLAND-ERATH-HOOD-SOMERVELL-
JOHNSON-ELLIS-HENDERSON-COMANCHE-MILLS-HAMILTON-BOSQUE-HILL-
NAVARRO-FREESTONE-ANDERSON-LAMPASAS-CORYELL-BELL-MCLENNAN-FALLS-
LIMESTONE-LEON-MILAM-ROBERTSON-
710 AM CST MON MAR 3 2008

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH TEXAS.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.
A WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF NORTH TEXAS THROUGH 6 PM
DUE TO NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING UP TO 40 MPH.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL END ACROSS NORTH TEXAS FROM WEST TO
EAST THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS. LIGHT SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE
GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF INTERSTATE 20 LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AN INCH OR LESS WILL BE
POSSIBLE ON ELEVATED AND GRASSY SURFACES.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.
NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
I live in Falls county and our trip will start in palo Pinto county
Ron

Jack here - trip starts on the 10th, a week from today.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
I am glad I am not on the river this morning wind blowing raining and cold
then a few minutes ago it started hailing now the ground is covered with about an inch of hail,
Recon the indian gods heard Jack was coming.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
tx river rat said:
Packing my stuff and getting ready to go.
Friend Ron,

When I read that I figgered ya aimed ta shove off today....ta git in some quiet paddlin' by yerownself before the didigereedooo shows up 'n riles all the critters. I reckon it takes ya longer ta pack than I figgered. :wink:

After a storm watch out fer the cottonmouths. Dont fergit what happened ta Sean.

regards
bearridge

I’ll say a word, jest a word. This was a good brave boy, he had a fine tenor voice and we’ll all miss him. There’s accidents in life and he met with a bad one. Now we may all do the same if we aint careful. Dust to dust. Now let’s the rest of us go on to Montana. Gus McCrae