14-16ft crawfish skiff plans? | SouthernPaddler.com

14-16ft crawfish skiff plans?

mnormand

Jun 28, 2012
Hello all, first post here I think, but maybe I was on another board somewhere with Sparkey, can't quite remember :oops: .

I continually get hot and cold wanting to build a skiff similar to the crawfish skiffs here in S La. Got too many kayaks and boats now, what the heck LOL.

I keep getting drawn to the Uncle John, but its gotta support a 6-15hp motor, which UJ certainly is not made for that. And the stern is too narrow in those plans, I need a full size stern.

Anybody seen any other plans for such? Pointed bow, much heavier build using 1/2 or 5/8 ply bottom, etc. Also the UJ has too much rake for my use, need more of the front in the water.

This would be a trailer queen, to be used for short trips to shallower salt and fresh waters, to keep from hauling my 19ft alum skiff. And where my kayaks are too slow for the water distance I need cover. I try to keep up with all the plan sites like duckworks etc, but there's so much out there.

Thanks, and best to all,
Mark

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Maybe don't be to quick to write off Uncle John. He says his plans are a boat building guide, rather than a fixed set of plans. I built a sort of 3/4 scale version of his bayou skiff. You can use thicker material for the sides and bottom and you can widen the transom. You can get less rocker/rake by cutting the bottom of the sides convex. hth

mnormand

Jun 28, 2012
Thx for all guys. No hurry here, just still looking around.

I can probably mod the gator or UJ plans as needed. But I'm very careful to maintain proper lines of boat, don't want to end up with the wrong look. Seen too many of those, this is too much work to not have what I want.

Step back and admire a boat from the side, and it either has nice pleasing lines, or yuck, makes me turn away, haha LOL. After building kayaks, and a bunch of pirogues, I'm very perceptive to this.

Would like to end up with a nice sleek longer, but not wider, crawfish skiff, with just the right amount of rake up front, not too much.

JEM

you mean like the one on this page?

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/ ... &id=349991

If so, that's a pretty easy set of plans.

I did a search and found pictures of this guys. Doesn't say where he got the plans but maybe you could try to contact him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31710418@N05/2970076531/

or

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_sene.php

If you strike out, let me know. That looks like a really simple set of plans to draw. I'm kinda surprised no one has them out there already.

mnormand

Jun 28, 2012
Matt, that Sportsman boat is pretty close to the lines I want. The sides angle is just about right. With a 19ft alum skiff already in the yard, I better cutdown my build to about 14-15ft or so. Maybe reduce the HP to 10-20, long as on step and moving pretty flat, not nose high.

Getting the perfect rake and flair up front is where my interest is. Some are too high with a snooty look, :D :D .

JEM

mnormand,

Just out of curiosity, tell me the x and y dimensions from your 19 (X is from hull bottom at mid ship to bottom of the nose at the bow. Y is how far back from the bow the lift starts).

side.jpg

JEM

augh!

Figured out that bend and bow lift. It comes from a combination of 2 things:

1) if you're looking from a top view perspective, the bend radius of the side panels in the area of the bow
2) from a front view: the flare of the side panels.

The side panels are actually straight cuts if you're laying them out on the plywood. Sort of like an uncle johns pirogue.

Might draw up a little poling/paddling skiff.