16' Sassafras Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

16' Sassafras Canoe

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Finished! The inside is smooth, no laps. The gunnels fit together instead of the plywood showing inbetween them. That is the difference between this and the CLC builds. The 2 paddles were made by JD Sibley from 5/4 ash lumber. Pictures coming!

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
The boat is actually 15'-6" long, 36" beam & weighs 74lbs. It would make a good family or trip canoe. Payload is 450lbs., but I would think it would hold more than that! The flotation compartments are air tight. You can release the air pressure when you loosen the plugs! Thanks for the comments. This will be my last boat build. Cannot stand the sanding dust any longer!!!!! It was fun though!!!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd have o think a long time before letting go of that boat. It is a nice design for the waters here, looks very nice, and has a lot of work and sweat into it. (Scratching my head here. Kicking gravel around underfoot. Lookin inta the sun. Scratchin my . . . Uhhh. . . nose. Trying to figure.)

Nope, I'd keep it. The Au Sable River would be a good fit for it.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
I'd have o think a long time before letting go of that boat. It is a nice design for the waters here, looks very nice, and has a lot of work and sweat into it. (Scratching my head here. Kicking gravel around underfoot. Lookin inta the sun. Scratchin my . . . Uhhh. . . nose. Trying to figure.)

Nope, I'd keep it. The Au Sable River would be a good fit for it.
Jack, I get all my pleasure from building! Paddling, not do much. My back stops me from doing that! Hopefully someone else will have that pleasure?