17# Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

17# Pirogue

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
Messed up on posting these pictures the first time but I have it now. Finished the aluminum-on-frame pirogue and I've had her on the water a few times now. All I can say is that she is SWEET !! Because of some of my mess up's along the way I had to modify but she turned out OK anyway. Sort of reminds me of Ron's Cuda, the asymmetrical Laker 15. Used the JEM Touring Pirogue but had Matt put a V bottom on it instead of a flat one, sure helps with the tracking. Haven't put her on a scale yet or measured her, but because there was excess stress on the rails in the rear, I had to move the rear temp frame forward which made the bottom and top narrower than the plan called for, still works just fine. She's water tight and flies on the water, easy to get up to speed and little effort to just easy along. If anyone shows interest I'll post up pics of the build and try to explain what I did to get her finished...................Phishtech

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Re: TEST

PT,
Your Test wasn't worth a durn. I did not see one fish in your fine looking craft, although I did see a fishing pole. Was that your first time out in it? Your pictures came through good. Show us some more pictures of it and include at least a few fish. :D
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Phish, I'd be mighty interested in the pictures of the build. I built one myself and it was "OK"........not great ....just "OK". I too made more than my share of mistakes. It was a joy to load and unload and responded very well to the paddle. It just wasn't robust enough for my use.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pictures and an explanation of the build would be nice plus some answers to a few questions...................

What is the exact length ?
What did the finished weight end up at ?
What type of seat is that and where did you find it ?

Chuck.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
oldsparkey said:
Pictures and an explanation of the build would be nice plus some answers to a few questions...................

What is the exact length ?
What did the finished weight end up at ?
What type of seat is that and where did you find it ?

Chuck.

The length came in at 14'-11". Don't know how I lost an inch but I did.
Haven't weighed her yet, but I can easily pick her up with one hand. First chance to weigh her I'll do it and get back with you.
That seat is from an Ultimate 14.5 tandem. I sold the boat and kept one seat. Best kayak seat out there. I now have a cut off plastic lawn chair in it which works good. Going to cut the legs off of a mesh lawn chair and use it later on.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
jdupre' said:
Phish, I'd be mighty interested in the pictures of the build. I built one myself and it was "OK"........not great ....just "OK". I too made more than my share of mistakes. It was a joy to load and unload and responded very well to the paddle. It just wasn't robust enough for my use.

Joey

I could have made one like the original model, which was make two straight identical rails with 45° bow and stern, put them together and see what you get. I chose to go with a proven platform, the JEM Touring Pirogue with a V bottom. Took the measurements from the plans and it was simple to build. It's the same as Matt's boat, only lighter, but still strong. The original boat that came in at 17#'s was built for the owner to slowly paddle one of our local bayous that he frequents and fishes. Perfect for that, but if you want to cover some miles and do it with ease, the TP is the way to go. Like I said, mine slices through the water and can really fly when I get down on her. Just a wooden built TP will do the same, ask Harry Mick. Using Luann 5mm wood you could make a great boat for very little $$.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Phish,

I am very interested in the build pics and descriptions. That is the boat (Herb’s) that led me to this forum in the first place. I saw your earlier post (maybe on TKF?) about getting Matt’s TP plans, and I have bought them also, but flat bottom version.

Thanks

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
texastom said:
Phish,

I am very interested in the build pics and descriptions. That is the boat (Herb’s) that led me to this forum in the first place. I saw your earlier post (maybe on TKF?) about getting Matt’s TP plans, and I have bought them also, but flat bottom version.

Thanks
I think you'll do better with a V bottom, it'll keep the boat tracking arrow straight when you stop paddling to cast your bait, or....just stop paddling. Matt will send you the plans for one for a very small offering. All of my plastic kayaks immediately veer either right or left when I stop paddling, not the JEM V. Either way, you'll have a great boat. You'll love paddling the TP, it's a great design.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
texastom said:
Phish,

Thanks

I had all of my build pictures on one of my flash drives, and for the life of me I can't find it. I've looked everywhere (well, except wherever the flash drive happens to be). If I run across it I'll post the pics.

Just found some on Photobucket that might help: http://s529.photobucket.com/user/Phisht ... t=3&page=1

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
Found a few more pictures while going through my computer files. These are of the end pours I made while the boat was upright. You can see just how sleek she really is:

End pour:

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
One important note: if anyone builds one of these, use a drill motor with a wire wheel on the end of it to remove ALL of the oxidation from the aluminum trim coil before applying the resin/wood flour mix. I gave the edges around the side panels a nice clean, bright finish and she is water tight.
You can see in the last picture where I buffed it off.