1770 - The Real Trip Report | SouthernPaddler.com

1770 - The Real Trip Report

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We left home at about 0730 on Tuesday morning and arrived at 1770 about 3 hours later - (nice easy drive) :D even in my wifes little Ford, loaded to the hilt, as it was.

This was taken in the town of Gin Gin where we stopped for morning tea.

8e2f7e9d.jpg

After settling into our cabin here,

http://www.1770holidayvillage.com/index ... ommodation

0b9a6122.jpg

We set of out to the headland for some piccies. 8)

Looking South East from Round Hill Head

97140cf1.jpg

c2b0b3f9.jpg

The sheltered waters of Bustard Bay

24facee9.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Then into what was once a quiet little surfing villiage called Agnes Water (now the bloody yuppies have "discovered" the place)

Where I got a hamburger

dafbab37.jpg

While Mz Robin engaged in her favourite passtime.

850b2ca7.jpg

She's gonna kill me for this. :D

then back to 1770 for a few piccies of the sunset.

I stuffed nearly all of mine up this time but I sort of like this one.

90b574b3.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The following morning dawned bright, clear and crisp with little wind so down to Round Hill Creek to put in at a sandy beach well within the creeks confines.

eada6a1a.jpg

A short paddle of about a mile across the sandy shallows to the north shore,

4926c848.jpg

and time for a cappacino 8) (Man, i love my Trangia) :D

c8246762.jpg

View East from the North Shore, looking towards 1770 and Round Hill Head

ac8765c9.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After about 1/2 hour sitting on the beach, we headed back towards 1770

a5965c65.jpg

with the plan of paddling out to the creek mouth, below Round Hill head. Once across, we turned left and headed out round the first rocky point and into a large bay with sandy beaches.

b22971b4.jpg

I think this place more closely fits the description given by Lt. Cook in his log as being the place landed. It now holds a very nice camping ground and day use area with tent and van sites right beside the beach

96a568c9.jpg

fd259fc0.jpg

dd54f203.jpg

and fooled around in this lovely shallow part of the creek. This are is very safe for little kids to play and swim because it is very shallow and out of the current.

The camp ground, beach and day use area are owned and maintained by the local council wh do a splendid job of it. The place is very family friendly and on a nice day as this one was, It can be like Sesame Street on the beach. (not real bad for geezers too) 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Continueing on, it is probably about another 2 miles to the river mouth, round the rocky point and shoal that I think best fits the description given by Lt Cook.

f14d099e.jpg

to a succession of sandy beaches in between rocky, oyster covered rocky outcrops. 8)

f3ffc001.jpg

5ef67d48.jpg

357f83d8.jpg

6a85c41e.jpg

till finally, we approach the base of Round Hill Head.

3059de4b.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
On the way, we passed this bloke who was playing a solid fish.

bae856dd.jpg

I stopped to watch and he told me that he didn't expect to land it. He was using 25 pound line and had allready been smoked three times. This was the last of the line he had in the boat and his prediction proved correct shortly after. The fish took all the line off his reel and kept going.

I left him to his misery and caught up with Robin under the lee of the cliff to play. :D

bc741376.jpg

f7ef93ac.jpg

bd4139c8.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Yer landscape work gits better'n better. Tell us bout the boat with the dog on the front end.

regards
bearridge

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.  Dante Alighieri

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Be worth going to Aussie Land just to get one of those hamburgers. Did ya'll see all the onions on that thing? :D :D
Bob

YES... I saw it and was wishing I could take on the battle between it and myself , one bite at a time. If you look real close that smaller thing in the back of sure looks like Micks Hat. That ain't no small burger. :D
dafbab37.jpg