2 monkeys and Freedom | SouthernPaddler.com

2 monkeys and Freedom

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
As Ya'll know the weather here in Texas has been lousy for several weeks. well Sunday the sun finally came out.
While I was building the Freedom my son in law would come by with his two daughters and look at the boat. Every time I saw the oldest the first question was are you finished with the kayak. I want to go to river and go camping.
The girls are 6 and 10 and very much tomboys.
Well you guessed it the phone rang Courtney Grandpa can we go Kayaking told her to come on . Less than an hour later we were headed for the lake river was just to dangerous.
I took my little9.5 Heritage and the Freedom unloaded after talked to folks about wood Yak 9dang they draw a crowd) we slide them into the water. loaded up one girl in my lap one in my soninlaws. paddled around for few minutes then put the oldest in the 9.5 held rope tied to front end until she could back up turn left and right and stop the boat. she was raising sand turn loose of the rope I told her I would if she would paddle to a stick nearby and back well she did that no trouble . Her dad got in the Freedom off they went in about five minutes she was handling the boat well then we did the same with Aile same thing in no time off she
went
LIFE JACKETS WERE PROPERLY WORN AT ALL TIMES AND they both swim like fish
The the monkeying started oldest had the little yak again the youngest jumped in the water grabbed the handle on back of Freedom and off they went my soninlaw towing her at pretty good clip. m well the oldest couldn't stand it next time they came in she grabbed the rope on the front son in law said that made it hard to paddle so the monkey she is she wrapped her legs around nose back in the water told him she was more aerodynamic now to start paddling I nearly feel in the lake laughing.
Coutney had to monkey some more next thing I know she is sitting on the front deck between tie downs and hatch riding the nose like a horse
By the way Matt she informed me the deck needs designing isn't very comfortable.
Well they had just about worn the ole folks out and the little one was in the 9.5 Courtney wanted to try the freedom away they went talking laughing both handled the boats really well better than I thought they would.
I had folks on the bank asking how long they had been yaking an how good they handle the boats.
Finally had to call it a day both the girls came up to me hugged me said they had a good time then pulled me down whispered in my ear grandpa would you build me a yak for my birthday (the oldest) and the youngest said and build me one for her birthday to
So Matt you better get that 11 fter on board cause I told them I was waiting on the designer The last thing Courtney said was grandapa if you have his phone number think it would help if I called him :lol:
Ron

PS I was realy amazed at how well the Freedom handled the gals climbing all over under behind it.
and how fast soninlaw was towing the little one.
Pics will be here in few days

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Rat....

When I built the Coho (Pygmy Boats) my youngest daughter went with me on the test paddle , after I tried it she had to try it.

A couple of laps around the lake (she did not want to stop paddling it ) she pulled in and all she said was .... "Thank's Dad for the great kayak" Yep... she claimed it as hers but I can use it when I want since I have it over here in my workshop. :lol:
Now I am not sure about her since she wants the Swamp Girl and one of the pirogues also. Women , they just can't make there minds up.

Both daughters are Tom Boy's when it comes to boats and camping but what would you expect from a misfit father that took them boating and camping all the time.

Looks like you will be building one of Matt's laker's ...."O"oppps a couple of them.

By the way if Courtney needs Matt's phone number I will be more then happy to send it to her. :p

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I get a lump in my throat when kids get excited about boats, water, watching wildlife, camping, fishing, etc. It's really special.

Come to think of it, though, Old Yaker and I got lumps in our throats after eating a bit of Chuck's cooking on Outhouse Key. I wonder if there's a connection? (This last part isn't serious like the first part. It was said tongue in cheek - or head over a bucket.)

Zeb

Dec 18, 2006
Co.Durham England
Hi Ron
brilliant report,sounds like your going to be busy!!!!
A brace of lakers 8)
If theyre half as pretty as your Freedom the grandkidz will be well chuffed!!!
Look foreward to the pictures.
all the best zeb

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The only problem I can see on this deal is I will need a new shed just to hold the yaks Chuck Courtney said she get the number from you if this deal gets to drawn out :lol:
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
The only problem I can see on this deal is I will need a new shed just to hold the yaks Chuck Courtney said she get the number from you if this deal gets to drawn out :lol:
Ron

You have a deal and I will even let her know when Matt takes his naps so she would be sure to wake him up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Rat...

I was telling you about my two daughters and how they like the water and the woods.

Well the youngest (Mary) had a bridal shower and her friends got her and Neil a Eddie Bauer 4 person tent , a couple of the Eddie Bauer sleeping bags. ( Yep she had Eddie Bauer on her list of places to get gifts)
When she goes to Canada to visit Neil , she and Neil go camping in the North Woods.

Then one other girl friend of hers who she goes camping with at times down here in Florida , got her a nice tent for there enjoyment.
Not , bad two tents and two sleeping bags in one swoop.

To top that off she got a lot of nice kitchen stuff including one heavy duty mixer with all of the attachments and a digital camera (cannon) which I tried to steal while looking at her treasures. She caught me so so she still has the camera and is gaining on me with the camping gear... about 5 more tents and we will be even , not counting hammocks. :lol:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
wannabe
Is does give me the excuse to build a couple more boats.
Ron
BUT I HAVE 7 GRAND KIDS AND FOUR STEP GRANDKIS YEWWWWWWWWWW DANG LOT OF BOATS

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Tex,

I have three kids and three grand kids. they all want a boat of their own.

I think the Freedom in any deck configuration would do all of them nicely but I think the Laker might suit a little better, particularly so for the littluns.

The oldest of my grandkids is only 6 so as he grows out of it, he can pass it down to the next in line.

My youngest daughter, (16) has her heart set on her own pirogue. She still hasn't forgiven me for selling the swampgirl. :( I can see her claiming Robins.

My son (21)wants an Okwater and my oldest daughter (25) just helps herself to what-ever is easiest to get out of the shed at the time. :shock: :D

(I am gonna have to start building them much heavier) :twisted: :D

None of them are in any way interested in taking the store bought boats for a walk.