20 reasons to not paddle in the Deer Group | SouthernPaddler.com

20 reasons to not paddle in the Deer Group

WestCoastPaddler

I just got back from the Deer Group (in Barkley Sound, on the west coast of Vancouver Island) a couple of weeks ago and have to say that it was awful. Absolutely ghastly. I don't recommend going there if you're looking for some relaxation. Just way too much stressful stuff to deal with -- whales making noise by your campsite, bears in the bushes, dreadful sunsets. Nope, don't go there. You won't like it.

The photo below is Reason #11 and shows how awful the solitude can be (it's a photo of my daughter fretting about all the quiet open space):

deer-group-10.jpg

I've posted the full 20 reasons why the Deer Group is not a good place on my website at the link below:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/communi ... php?t=1281

I hope that everyone can appreciate the hell that we went through enduring 12 days of this godforsaken place.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have to agree with you there is no way on this green earth I would ever , want to paddle there , what a dump.

WRONG. .... If anything that is as close to heaven that anyone alive will ever get to. You are really blessed to be able to paddle there and even have your kids with you , I hope they appreciate it and don't take it for granted.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dan,

That pichur oughta be on a poster. Wow!

regards
bearridge

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane. Steven Wright

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
deer

How in the world anyone could even think that going to a place like that with your children can in any way compare to sitting in the house playing video games.

Well I simply dont understand it. :roll:

The children most likely got wet and chilly. I"m even willing to bet they had "fun"
Perhaps that post should be fowarded to the state as proof of either child abuse :wink: [or] a loving parent.

WestCoastPaddler

Thanks guys. I really cherish the trips that I do with my kids. I know that it won't be more than a few short years before they're not going to want to go for a while and that's fine (most of the time now, my 15 year old son would rather be playing his guitar in his buddies garage than hanging out with the old man, but he still likes to go on our annual big trips). Being "out there" is ingrained in them and I suspect that since they do enjoy it so much that they'll continue with this for the rest of their lives. I'm pretty cool with that.

Regarding the photos, thanks again. I really like taking pictures -- the photo that I posted above will be our wallpaper image for September.

Oh, and regading the scenery -- of all the places to live and paddle, I'm really happy that I'm here. Any of you get up this way, please do get in touch, I'd be happy to show you around the neighbourhood.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dan,

Daughters aint like sons. Take 'em campin', paddlin'....special times 'n they come back after they git past the dad=credit card times. Looks like ya done good. The jackpot comes when the daughters git older. They wanna come back 'n visit the outdoors.

Boys fall fer outdoor trips like Mike Vick fer a dog fight.

regards
bearridge

Death comes with a crawl, or it comes with a pounce, but whether he's slow or spry, it's not the fact that you're dead that counts, but only, how did you die?  Unknown