2016 season | SouthernPaddler.com

2016 season

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Well I went hunting this Saturday and 2 days this week, mosquitoes 6 me zip. Some people say Matthew blew them in? And I guess some also hatched from recent rain. I have never seen them this bad in my life? The off and thermocells wouldn't even phase them. Its bad when you can't set comfortable in the stand. Any one had any luck yet?

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Got a 130+ pound doe. About a 22 yard shot across the creek from my ground blind. Good shot; she only ran about 45 yards. Toughest part was getting her back across the dry creek bed. We're in a drought here in MS. Sliding her down one 15 foot bank was nothing but hauling her up the other side was painful. No skeeters though and backstrap deer kabobs on the fire that night!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Good for you Doc.yep no better than right then in the woods over a camp fire. I will see if I can bag a few of these mosquitfire.up and send to you? :lol: :mrgreen:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Still no luck here. Had a couple walk up behind me where I couldn't see them till it was to late. They blew me out.so I moved my stand so I have more operpertunity now. I got their number. Guess me and you doc is the only one hunting? Still dealing with the mosquitoes too hoping for a frost soon. There not as bad but bad still bad enough.

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Went on a hunting trip with two of my sons the last three days (along with a few others). They both knocked down a good sized doe. Me...I dragged two deer out of the bush and cleaned both. As camp cook I was the most popular guy there. Brought home two backstraps and two hind quarters! It was a successful hunt, indeed!

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Those are indeed the directions but then you have to turn on the gravel road to the left right after where Dud's General and Hardware used to be. Go a pretty good piece and look for the big Ash tree on the right with a barbwire girdle. We'll eat about 7ish. Guitar picking and "refreshment" following.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The guys asked me to locate the area and to print out a map on how to get there.

After a lot of looking at the Google maps I realized I have let the guy's down and we will not be able to make it.
By the way do you really have any idea of how many gravel roads there are in that area ? Only one road in that whole county is paved and it's interstate 114B which is way north of Dud's General and Hardware stores old foundation.
I spent hours upon hours checked Google maps and finally found the foundation of Dud's General and Hardware.

From the Dud's General and Hardware stores old foundation I am lost because the Ash Tree is missing , it's not in any of Googles Ariel Pictures.
Could it of been cut down some time in the far past for fire wood and you unintentionally forgot that. Especially since you did say it was a favorite spot for BBQ's ?

With that sad note , I hope you aren't to disappointed we can't make it. On the happy side , enjoy all the good eats since there should be a lot left over. :roll: :lol:

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Tell ya what I'll do Sparky: I'll eat a couple of deer kabobs and play a song in you honor. Then I'll double down on the "refreshment" and telepathically beam the whole experience to you (I'm sure telepathy or some other cosmic ability will emerge after the double down). You might want to stock up on the Pepto!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck, if that telepathy works- you're in for a headache and white throne time.

In the meantine, I've dkne some aerial recce, saw smoke from his BBQ, and have him entered as a waypoint. Ii had to double back to Hushpuppy Aerodrome for fuel. There's a 3200 foot sod strip nearby his strad, and my ETA is in just about 37 minutes.

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
You land that balsa bird in my green field and scare away my deer Jack, and that Kayak will get repositioned from your anterior to your posterior.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.......

It's OK that we missed the meal , after all it could not be that great he did not mention anything about having some of catfishes mosquito shis-k-babs as appetizers. :roll:

Those two need to combine hunting efforts.
If you will recall Catfish had this to say about his trip.
Well I went hunting this Saturday and 2 days this week, mosquitoes 6 me zip

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey docus good for yal.them, ain't nothing like doing it with family or friends. Atleast glad yal got some venison. You. Just better keep an eye on dem others two fellows mentioned on here? :lol: :mrgreen:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Well I hate to even post this one. Finally had a Doe walk up to me on my right side so I had to shoot her left handed. Yep I totally missed her about 20 ft with my old scatter gut about 20ft. I was shooting at her left handed and I am right handed.shot at her two more times running missed them too. :( :twisted: my son has managed to get a Doe and an 8 point so I guess we still gonna have some venison.