.22 Cal. Remington® NPSS | SouthernPaddler.com

.22 Cal. Remington® NPSS

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion on this rifle in particular or Remington pellet rifles in general? The statistics look pretty nice for the price.

Richard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been checking out the Benjamin Nitro in 22 cal. The appealing item is there is no spring used but compressed gas to make it work.
Plus they say it is quieter then a spring operated one with out all the recoil when fired.

Like you I was thinking someone in this group has tried one and hoped to get there thoughts about them.

Chuck.

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
There both Crosman products. Probably the same innards with differant dressing. The Crosman web site has disappointingly little written about the workings of them. I would have thought they would have a great big story made up on all the features etc. If you find a good write-up on them let pass it on and I'll do the same.
Thanks
Richard

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Thanks Piper. I'm on dial-up and not great phone lines at that. I usually run from 24 to 28 Kbps so You Tube is slooow. But I'll look at a few of them.

Thanks for the offer.I'm learning as I go with this pellet gun stuff. I've been tinkering with my 1377 and just about have what I want. For a long time I've wanted a good, hunting quality rifle. I'm not ready to buy but am starting the search. The Rem Nitro cought my eye first.

Thanks
Richard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you look at a model then click on the reviews area or section by folks who have purchased one, it does offer a lot of information.

Here is an example of just one on the Remington.

Remington NPSS .22
September 7, 2010
Reviewer: Jeff
Would you recommend this product to others?: Yes
Super quiet, super accurate and a super deal!

I spent some time at the range with my NPSS shooting Crosman Premier hollow points. My chronograph averaged out at 678 fps. Very impressive for a .22 caliber lead pellet, I think, and certainly fast enough to prove deadly on the wascally wabbits that plague my perennials!

The scope is significantly above and beyond what I would expect in a sub-three hundred dollar package. The rifle is easy to cock and the Crosman Premier pellets fit quite snugly into the barrel. Remington has also supplied a really nice, adjustable trigger with this rifle!

My example of the NPSS is surprisingly accurate, with consistent 25 yard groups, from a rest, inside of one inch. Offhand, utilizing the artillery hold, one can repeatedly decimate a common pop can at thirty yards, leaving little doubt that the rabbits in my yard are soon to be facing a significant population decline.

I compared this rifle side-by-side with a bolt action .22 caliber rim-fire shooting CB Long ammo (extremely quiet, sub-sonic rounds) and the NPSS was by far the quietest, had the fastest muzzle velocity and printed the tightest groups.

For those residing in an urban setting, my opinion is that, if fired from inside of a structure, the sound of the pellet impacting the target outside is about all that a nosy neighbor is likely to hear.

This rifle and scope package is, IMO, a terrific value at $299, shipped. Get it before the price goes up!

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
I do a lot of reading between the lines when reading those reviews. They are very helpful though. I have been looking at this rifle on Amazon. It can be had for $263.95. They have some pretty good reviews there also. By most accounts these are pretty nice for the price, and it seems the price most people are talking about is $300.00 to $350.00. Crosman has it at $350.00 list on there web site I think.

Richard

islandpiper

Jack, so far the Fed-o-crats have not talked about taking away air guns. An airgun might put rabbits in the pot when you can't shoot a real rifle. You can get "range time" behind the garage or in the basement and carry those skills through to a fire arm, at just about ONE PENNY A SHOT. Yup.......three bills is a lot of money. Almost as much as $3.59 for a gallon of gas.
piper

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Kayak Jack said:
I must be stuck in the 50s - $300 or more for a pellet gun sounds outrageous. I can get a real gun for that money.
I know exactly what you mean. That's why I don't already have one..........but these aren't the guns we used to shoot. You might say some of them are pneumatic rifles that happen to shoot pellets. I'm not trying to compare them to our trusty 22LR, but they have come a long way. I look at there potential this way. A lot of shotgun rounds have a velocity of 1100 - 1200 fps. Some of these rifles have advertised velocities’ the same. I don't know how many rabbits, squirrels, etc I've brought home with just 3 or 4 #6 pellets in them and that’s a lot less grains of lead than 8 or 9 grain pellet. (Just my thinking, often times faulty!)

And also X2 what Piper said. I've had a ball shooting my 1377 behind the barn without anyone the wiser ( wife doesn't know I'm goofing off :mrgreen: ).

Richard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I was with the department and times where quiet ( Holidays ) and I pulled duty a couple of us would prop the back door open at the Justice Center set up some cans and have target practice. The nice thing is no one knew what was going on and we could get some shooting time in with handguns and rifles, air powered ones.

Plus some of the new air guns ( *** Gamo Socom Extreme Air Rifle using 177-caliber PBA® Raptor pellets ) today will spit out a pellet at 1,650 feet per second while a 9mm Luger round with a 124 gr. bullet will leave the barrel at roughly 1100fps. These new air guns are not toys. :wink: The Benjamin nitro I have been thinking about delivers a standard lead pellet ( 22 cal) at 950 feet per sec.
The advantage is that a tin of 500 pellets can fit in a pocket and the air to fire the rifle is free and there for the using.

*** The Gamo Socom is almost $500.00. :shock: way to rich for my blood. My taste is the Benjamin ( Remington , Crosman ) variety at around $230.00 and that still takes a lot of debating.

islandpiper

Chuck, i've been trying the non-lead pellets. Some are light enough that a springer will suffer damage with their use. And, while they go fast, there is no stopping power. My lead pellets, moving slow, will puncture real tin cans anytime. The non-lead gets there sooner, and leaves a dent. They cost waaaay more than regular pellets. I'm starting to like the lead pellets with the red-tip-cone. they shoot well in my guns, and that cone is hard, punching a hole before the lead gets there. I'm leaning more toward the Diana 34 in .22 right now. That could change tomorrow. piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm with you , the lead pellets are way , way better. Even the 177 ones do a number on a tree rat and the 22 should do as good of a job on larger , small , game like coons and the rest of that size. I do the head shots and was figuring it might be fun to bag a turkey with one , it is done by others on here. You either have a direct hit or a miss. :wink:

I have a couple of the pump up rifles ( Benjamen's ) one is older then the hills with open sights ( had it as a kid ) and in 22 while the new one is a 177 with a scope on it and it nails tree rats. I'm looking for a break barrel in 22 and not spring operated so I can miss out on all the pumping between shots.

Thinking it would be like the others , a good plinking ( Back yard target practice ) rifle and even for small game hunting. I really like the quiet part of air rifles since it does not spook the game.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP> I really like the quiet part of air rifles since it does not spook the game.
A Benjamin that I had as a kid (pump up .177) made enough noise that birds would sometimes jump. When I shot at a crow, he'd just sneer at me and tighten up his wings. PLOCK! The pellet hit and bounced off. He'd sneer again. One day, against what my Dad had said, I used the .22 with long rifles. He sneered - and fell over.

Not all birds jumped. I plowed a nice furrow in the head of a male, English sparrow one day.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
These new ones that we have been discussing are up to 70% quieter and a lot stronger , with a scope on them a head shot is really easy for us geezers with the scope........Use to be open sights but nature has ways of playing games with a persons vision as time progresses. Body shots don't count.

I shot my 1st tree rat with a body shot , was proud as heck and showed my Dad..... He told me if that was the best I could do to put the rifle up and never use it. Head shots or nothing , no reason to ruin good meat or cause a slower death. A while back there was a Crow in the pine tree in the back yard , one shot to the head and he dropped like a 18 wheeler hit him and that was with the Benjamin ( pump up ) in 177 cal.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
don't understand why you folks are so bent on shooting a squirrel in the head

the head has some of the best meat, including the brains

why not shoot them in the ribs - essentially no meat there and they're just as dead?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I guess I shoot in the head cause most folks don't hanker for squirrel brains. And, there isn't as much cheek meat as in other animals. A rib shot will make it easier to gut him, though. Already got a hole there to stick your finger into.