2nd Brazos Trip of the Week | SouthernPaddler.com

2nd Brazos Trip of the Week

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
After a couple of days to recuperation from the trip with Ron and the boys I took hannah on her second overnight trip, Chris and his little girl went with us also. This was her first ever camping trip and I must say she loved it. We putin @ Waco and went to my normal spot. As usual I carreid everything except for the kitchen sink. :D

Brazostrip3001.jpg

We paddled down and started working on getting camp set-up and the kids went exploring the Island.

Brazostrip3003.jpg

Brazostrip3006.jpg

Yes, I did set my tent up this time. :lol:. I had the trusty blue tarp as back-up though. :D. I think i will always carry it just in case.

After the high water a couple of weeks ago this island has really changed. It was covered with dead weeds two weeks ago and is now pretty clean. Bluebonnets must be pretty tough because the water did not bother them much.

Brazostrip3012.jpg

Brazostrip3013.jpg

Brazostrip3004.jpg

I dont know if the catfish have moved or what, but we did'nt catch any. The Drum however are thick and the kids had a ball and I had fresh Gator bait. :D

Brazostrip3020.jpg

Brazostrip3008.jpg

we cooked supper and had a nice time of it all. After dark the kids wanted to roast marshmellows so I built a small fire and let'em have it.

Brazostrip3018.jpg

Ally, my buddies dayghter took right to camping and had a great time.

Brazostrip3010.jpg

Brazostrip3009.jpg

Brazostrip3017.jpg

We had a few good runs on the big poles last night.

Brazostrip3025.jpg

About 1:00 AM I caught a pretty decent gator Gar. Only a teenager and not a monster but still a nice fight. He was 58 inches long and 25 inches around.

Brazostrip3022.jpg

Brazostrip3024.jpg

All in all we had a great trip. I am sure there are more productive places on the Brazos to fish but this place is safe and easy to get to with the kids. Chris took alot of pictures and I'll get hold of them and post them.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang Darrell,

A fella aint supposed ta have so much fun all the dang time. It brings back some mitey fine memories ta this ole geezer seein' two Dads take their gals campin' on the river. Dang good on ya'll.

regards
bearridge

Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.  Roger Lewin

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Thanks Bear. Guess what the wind was doing Sunday for the paddle home. About 35 MPH except this time we were going directly into it. :D

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
She's gettin better, but that wind wore her out. We took I time and I offered to tie her off to my boat and help her out,but she's hard headed like her Dad and wanted to do it by herself. 8)