2nd build w/ rocker & flare | SouthernPaddler.com

2nd build w/ rocker & flare

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
I'm building this for my brother-in-law. He's a great guy with four adopted kids under 5 years of age. He wants to be able to take them out and enjoy the water eventually, and I want to help him. The boat is 13 ft long on the bottom and 14 1/3' on top. The widest point on the bottom center is 28" and top is 33". More pics to follow as progress is made.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Nice start! Are the risers on the frame 1" x 4"? They look pretty beefy. I don't blame you - safe and stable is more important, especially in this case. Sounds like you're a good person, helping a good person.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great progress. Don't finish too soon, I want to see it befor you give it away. Looking good.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
If you shaped the ribs with the flap sander after they were installed I need lessons. Thanks for the pictures of the stems. I wondered how the sides, chine logs, and stem were going to come together. When I get back you're way I have a table top model band saw you can use, If you like.

beekeeper

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
Bee,
I used the pattern riser from the last boat to draw a line that would represent what I wanted on the 1 x 4. Then I used a reciprocating saw to get the shape and then the flap disc to form.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
TopWaterboy said:
I'm building this for my brother-in-law. He's a great guy with four adopted kids under 5 years of age. He wants to be able to take them out and enjoy the water eventually, and I want to help him. <snip>
Good on ya! My observation is that you won't be building a boat with a kid; you'll be building a kid with a boat. Help the young ones learn how to be responsible adults; have some fun doing it.

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
My Bro-In-Law now officially has the pirogue. He painted her rather patriotic and has her stored well. He took out all four of his younguns, and they had a blast. By the way, I didn't put the clunky bow and stern pieces on there. I was going to put a small thin piece. Oh well. It is his to do with as he pleases.