45 colt | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

45 colt

islandpiper

CHUCK SAID: f you are going to use hand loads then I believe it is best for that person to do it themselves and to never trust anyone else to do it. If you don't pay attention to what you are doing and screw up then it is your own fault and you will suffer the consequences of it.

So.......hand loads are sort of like parachutes, then? piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
islandpiper said:
CHUCK SAID: f you are going to use hand loads then I believe it is best for that person to do it themselves and to never trust anyone else to do it. If you don't pay attention to what you are doing and screw up then it is your own fault and you will suffer the consequences of it.

So.......hand loads are sort of like parachutes, then? piper

Yep If ya don't pack it right it will hurt ya.
Bob

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Whew sorry guys, between a brief sickness I am just getting over and the flood of work at work I am just now getting back on the board.

My Unique load that I also use in addition to my trailboss load (for a little warmer loads) is as follows.

Starline 45 colt brass
CCI large pistol primer
9.0 grains of Unique powder. (Note this is not the max load listed, but it is what I get the most accurate rounds from)
250 grain RNFP lead (I used to lean towards laser cast. I now use http://www.tennesseevalleybullets.com/ their 250 grain cast rnfp. the folks at TVB will sell you samples for handloading if you want to just TRY some of their bullets. With their prices being as cheap as they are, and their quality being high I like them alot, and they are good folks)

Anyway I have a few other loads, but peeking at them some of them are very close to the max load for a ruger, and I don't really want to post them for safety sake, and I don't use them anymore anyway.

Enjoy, always use good handloading practices, and be safe

Richard

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
No problem, enjoy the loads, and good shooting. Remember the Unique load has been tested for rugers, marlins, rossi stainless model 92s, etc. If you are shooting anything else be SURE to check the min/man for nonruger firearms. The trailboss load should be safe for anything per IMR.

Richard

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got a couple canisters of Trail Boss in. Fixing to order the 6 cavity lee 255 grain rnfp molds slow but sure getting my junk together for loading these ,
Tried some cowboy loads that were 255 grain ,had three holes touching at fourty yards .
Ron