45 colt | SouthernPaddler.com

45 colt

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Dunno if Bob does, but I do. What grain weight are you shooting? Is it jacketed or lead, are you casting your own, what brand of firearm, etc.

Or if you are looking for a basic safe accurate cowboy load.

250grain lead rnfp (I use lasercast)
90% by volume of Trail Boss (Yes trail boss is safe to load by volume)
Remington or CCI Large pistol primer.

This is going to give you safe accurate cowboy speeds. More than enough to pass lengthwise through a doe (done it) but it ain't gonna be a speed demon. The upside is recoil is the least you are going to get.

If you are looking for a little more umph I can dig up some of the older loads dad and I use.

Enjoy.

Richard

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
oops a quick one on loading by volume and trail boss. my trail boss dippers (read up the old instructions for the lee powder dippers) are ONLY for trail boss. They are NOT safe with other powders. To measure 90% I mark the case (a spare case from whatever round you are loading) where the base of the specific bullet is going to sit and cut your brass to that mark. Then fill it with trail boss using the lee method (dip don't scoop!) Weigh that on a scale, take 90% of that. Dipper to that 90% then mark and cut your brass down again. The same for lower measures. On my 38 specials I actually found about 85% to be optimum for accuracy. In 45 colt it is right at the 90% mark. I then write in permanent marker on the side the % and the bullet weight ie 90/250. I usually use a deprimed case that needs to be culled for split case mouths, etc. I then take a already spent primer and pop it into the primer pocket upside down so that no powder gets caught in the flash hold/spent primer during dipping. On my dippers I then solder a piece of brass rod about 2" long to the side of the case to aid in ease of dipping.

Always follow safety guideline when reloading, may load is safe in my guns, your mileage may vary, no attorneys were hurt in typing out this post.

Richard

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Ron,
In the 45 all I've done is take some bullets iI came by and loaded them up middle of the road. I would have to look the load up but it was just for plinking and having fun. Loaded them with some old Unique and will never do that again. NASTY. We (my son and I) have three moulds for cast bullets, a 200, 255,and 300gr. When I work loads up for each of them they will be mild subsonic loads. I like big and slow. Another thing about Trail Boss, you will probally never be able to double charge a case.
Bbo

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
Hate to disagree but a double charge can blow a pistol up , no charge just puts one in the barrel maybe,and a blind deaf buffalo should catch the difference in the recoil and not pull the trigger again.
I am going to be using these loads in a Judge and a circuit judge , 8 to 9 hundred fps will be plenty. These loads will be for plinking , hogs , maybe a deer. I will be casting my own if I find a load I like, what bullet is going to be the most accurate in this gun,any ideals??
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack I dont know what your loading but there are very few powders that you cant double charge a case in the 45 long colt cartridge , it is also possible in a lot of different calibers.
Bob
They do have a shield ,they are light use the same rounds as the judge very pleasant to shoot.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
The .38 Spec. 148 gr hollow based wadcutters I shoot uses 2.8gr of Bullseye. You could easily over charge that 4 or5 times if not more. Double charged one one time and it really got my attention. Did not harm the gun though. Pays to be very careful.
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
One grain can make the difference between a max load and two much pressure in a case
Also if you are loading rifles , they use tubular powder to fill the cases, pistols are a whole different ball game.
Ron
PS Your eyes are starting to turn brown on this subject

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Kayak Jack said:
tx river rat said:
PS Your eyes are starting to turn brown on this subject
Please don't misbehave, Ron. We're talking and sharing information here together. You are not the only one with experience and knowledge.

Jack now I wasnt misbehaving I could have said what I was really thinking :twisted:

I am no spurt on reloading but I have done a lot of it,and you have another man telling you the same thing. Insert quote above here.
Ok the 45 colt was a black powder round , a normal load was 40 grains of black powder.the biggest problem with this round is the case is so big that you can have ignition problems sometimes because there is so little powder in the case with 90% of the modern powders out there.
At a 40 grain capacity with a lot of powders you can load from 4 to 5 times the maximum load with out filling the case.
WHEN i SEE A STATEMENT THAT CAN GET SOMEONE HURT i AM GOING TO HOLLER LOUD AND CLEAR. A multiple charge in this gun can blow guns up ,that means minus fingers and eyes if your lucky , maybe dead if your not.
If a gun blows you take whats comes, if you have a round with just a primer going off you lay the pistol down pointed in a safe direction for a few minutes in case of a slow fire then go back and unload it and check the barrel.
All the above are facts ,not just my thought or statement I made, the procedure for a dud round are practiced by the military and the NRA and every match I have ever been too.
Now these folks that set these guidelines do have the experience and knowledge
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Richard
I would appreciate any loads you have and also you to Bob.
Sounds like that trail boss will be worth trying ,I will see if I can find any locally.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Mod 66 Smith & Wesson I had as a duty weapon and as a personal use handgun in 357. I had some hand-loads loaded for hunting hogs and the Gun Smith that did them for me sure was on something when he loaded them.

The 1st round went off like it should , the 2nd one was with primer only and it was easy to know that when the hammer fell. I knew better then to pull that trigger again , I like all my body parts and want to keep them attached to me for all times.

Out came a wood dowel and the bullet was removed from the barrel by pushing it back to where the cylinder would of been when firing it. Thank my lucky stars I was on the pistol range when trying those hand-loads for hog hunting and not in the field actually needing to take a shot.

Needless to say all of them were tossed in the trash since I did not know if they were loaded properly , underloaded or worse yet , overloaded. Taking a chance on them was not worth while as far as I was concerned.

If you are going to use hand loads then I believe it is best for that person to do it themselves and to never trust anyone else to do it. If you don't pay attention to what you are doing and screw up then it is your own fault and you will suffer the consequences of it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have several folks that have ask me to reload for them , but I agree with you 100% Chuck ,I shoot my loads and want load for anyone else.
Ron

dawallace45

Ron

Sorry I can't recommend a load for you either and it probably wouldn't do you any good any way as most of my load data was for ADI powders although I think some of those are now sold under the hodgdon powder brand and I found data that was good for one brand of case wasn't necessarily good for another and all my data was for cast bullets with Felix lube and even changing lube made a difference in accuracy in my guns , all my loads were for Ruger Blackhawks one of my favourite loads was for a 265 gn cast bullet with 8.8 gns of AP70 which I think but am not certain is Universal , it gave me very good accuracy and 970 fps +/- 5 fps out of my 5 1/2" barrelled ruger , but 970 to 1030 fps out of my 4 5/8" barrelled ruger , mediocre accuracy at best , never could get any load consistent enough for my tastes with that gun and sold it off early on , yes I know it's strange to get higher velocity out of as shorter gun but I think the chambers on that particular gun were tighter and the chamber throats definitely were and there was a considerable restriction where the barrel was screwed into the frame , Same load was crap in my 7 1/2" ruger and gave a variation from 930 fps to 1031 fps , only load I ever got to shoot reasonably well in the 7 1/2" was 11.1 gns of AP70 for 1165 fps , +/- 10 fps , strangely enough that load was probably the best load for the 4 5/8" as well with 1125 fps , +/- 20 fps

For any of my loads above 900 fps I only ever used the same brand of case I only ever used my mixed cases for plinking and I mainly used GM3 powder for that which I think but can't say for sure may be around the same burning rate as clays or red dot or maybe even as slow as trail boss , I found that in some cases and calibres it tended to be erratic and tended to change burning rate slightly depending on the airgap in the case

David

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Sorry work has been heck the last few days. As soon as I get a chance I will dig up other loads beside the trailboss loads (those loads I already posted of course) Here's the thing about trailboss. Without compression and purposely doing it you CAN NOT double charge a case with trailboss. Its one of the reasons I love it. A double charge WAY overflows the case. You wont ever be shooting a mangulum load with trailboss, but you won't blow a gun up in your face either so long as you don't compress (and don't exceed the 90% rule Hogdon/IMR claims exceeding 90% just gets you less performance, but I keep it as my max load cap)

Newer cans of Unique are MUCH cleaner burning that it was originally FYI. I have used it, but I got to the point in life where loading powders that different between min and max load by a grain or two (or less) just aint for me. I want a good plinking/utility load these days, that's it. Anyway I will go dig out my recipe book this weekend if I get time and post for you.

Richard

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thanks Richard
I sold my 44 mag because I didnt enjoy the heavy recoil , I think the load you are talking about will be just about what I am looking for . I like slow ,big bullets and accuracy.
Ron