60 miles on the Cedar River | SouthernPaddler.com

60 miles on the Cedar River

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice looking trip, Lee. You soloed? Eagles, that were almost only a historical myth when I was a kid, are back strong. We see them here in Michigan, and everywhere I've paddled - Texas, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Louisiana.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Jack,
Yep, this was a solo. No phone, no wife, no kids, no dogs, and no rain! Actual paddle time to reach Cedar Rapids was around 12 1/2 hours, but I took 5 days to do it. The rest of the time was setting camps, fishing, and a little hiking around the bluffs. Coyotes are alive and well in these parts. I heard them every night except the last when I was only 1/2 a mile from downtown CR on an island.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You seem to have a unique ability to see the obvious. :wink: I mighta slipped that one past Lee, but you - you sharp dog - caught it.

Since I'm but a half-wit anythehow, I figured it wouldn't really be a full duo, and just might fool onlookers. sigh Now, you blew my cover.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Jack,
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this publicly, but I did think about you while I was on this trip. I don't know if the Cedar would be "wild" enough for most everyone on this forum, especially someone with your paddling experience. (Iowa isn't exactly "wilderness")
I came upon countless "ideal" camps, only to look across the river and see a house directly above the desired spot, on the bluff overlooking it, forcing me to move on to another spot.
However, it is "The River" that has run through my life. I raised 5 kids on her, in a houseboat, & there's always a special draw to her for me.
It's close, convenient, and welcoming for me. If I go again, I'll try and post it as an open invite. There are spectacular views in the fall. The fishing is tolorable, if you're not confusing fishing with catching fish.(although She's never failed to provide me a catch)
The last time I saw the Northern Lights, I was camped on Her banks with my dad & brother. One is now gone, the other busy with his own brood.
It's a secret inside of me that I needed to experience one time by myself. Now that I have, I'd be quite happy to share it with anyone who wanted to come along for the next trip down.

Lee

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Lee, I paddle "civilized" waters too. I'd love to share your river with you, and learn from you about it. There's no other way I would ever get the chance to learn about that stretch of our country. You pick the time frame, and let me know ahead?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Aurora Borealis used to be prominent one summer when I was just a little shaver. Then, I saw them one summer night in the mid 50's. Not since, though. They are almost unbelievable - except, there they are.