90 Seconds Rice | SouthernPaddler.com

90 Seconds Rice

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A quick way to have some rice when camping or at home. Uncle Ben's 90 Seconds Rice

Between the Ready Rice and the Ready Whole Grain Medley there is a large assortment to chose from. http://www.unclebens.com/rice/

Uncle Ben's has the microwave rice in plastic pouches. At home just open the bag toss it in the microwave and in 90 sec you have the rice ready for dinner.

What got my interest is this idea for having it.

For skillet cooking , mush the bag to break the rice up , add it to a skillet and a couple spoons of water , then heat it up. No measuring the water , no long cooking time or to put it simply .... No muss , No Fuss..... Really quick rice as a meal or a side dish.

The pouch is sealed so there is no aroma to attract critters , they pack together really nice. About the same as the Lipton (rice) side dishes that require two cups of water to cook them and about 10 or more minutes , usually more when camping. :wink:

I did the microwave thing with the Uncle Ben's tonight along with some burgers off the grill..... Getting down to the last of everything the wife asked me..... I guess there are only two servings per bag...... Yep , it is that good. :D

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Sounds great. Kroger's has frozen, fully cooked brown rice. It's made to be microwaved, but really just needs to be heated up.

I browned 2 Tbsp oil, 1/2 c. chopped onions, 1 garlic clove, and 2 stalks of chopped celery in a hot skillet. I dumped the frozen pack in (carefully!), then added 2 Tbsp soy sauce and a packet of 'fried rice seasoning'. Stirred for 2 minutes, pushed the rice aside, and scrambled two eggs. 5 minute fried rice - Served it with steamed broccoli and grilled teriyaki chicken.
No complaints :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cook up some pork chops for supper and make sure there are plenty so there are some left overs.

Do the same as you did on the recipe you listed but add a diced up pork chop to it and have some Pork Fried Rice.

My thought is when out camping that would make an interesting meal and not one a lot of folks would expect while camping. Have everything diced up and ready so it just has to be added after the rice is warm.
I like the veggies on the crunchy side ( Basically no cooking time , just warming them ) , the chop is already cooked and diced up so all that stuff could ride along in a small cooler with the eggs.

A quick and easy meal.

Chuck.
Barrow ( with the intent of never returning ) several of the Soy Sauce packs from the local Chinese take out place to use while camping. Heck I always get a meal or two from them before camping so I can get those packs of the hot mustard. :wink:

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
There's a plant in town that manufactures those little packets. They get ketchup, soy sauce, and other condiments by the tanker truck. One of the my sons' scout troop parents worked there, so the patrol cookbox always had an interesting assortment of sauces. The boys were disappointed to find that duck sauce does not actually contain duck :)

No matter how bad or bland the tenderfoot made the chow, there was always something to put on it. If it was supposed to be sweet, syrup, jam, or apple butter; if savory, hot sauce, soy sauce, or salsa. No one tried the wasabi twice, but horseradish on hamburgers was pretty good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Horseradish , ketchup and 2 drops of lemon juice sure makes a good cocktail sauce. Just watch out after it is mixed , then use it. The longer it sits the more power it gains and after about 30 minutes it has a KICK to it.

I like horseradish and then use about double the amount of ketchup as to the horseradish , sometimes I even add a little more lemon juice. Sure is good with sea food or on a burger.

Horseradish with some diced up onions , mixed in the hamburger meat ( before cooking ) makes an interesting hamburger. Top it off with sharp cheddar cheese and an tomato slice. :D

Chuck.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Sounds mighty good.

We parents joked the Boy Scout (BS?) recipe for a hamburger was "Cook til overdone. Slice off the charred crust, smother in ketchup, and hide it in a bun as quickly as possible." Ate a few of those, proudly served by a scout who'd just cooked his first meal. :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
graybeard said:
Sounds mighty good.

We parents joked the Boy Scout (BS?) recipe for a hamburger was "Cook til overdone. Slice off the charred crust, smother in ketchup, and hide it in a bun as quickly as possible." Ate a few of those, proudly served by a scout who'd just cooked his first meal. :)

Everyone starts at sometime , best to encourage them. When they get to be a famous Chef then invite them to go camping , providing they do the cooking. :wink: