A Bass Case! | SouthernPaddler.com

A Bass Case!

nobucks

--

I got tired of transporting my Peavey bass in the soft gig bag, so I decided to make myself a hard case. Materials are 1/4" plywood for the top and bottom and 1/4" pine boards for the sides. Construction is glue and staples.

bass01.jpg

I didn't think to start taking photos until I was this far into the process. I used blue foam board to cut out the guitar body shape. The lining is a plush, short nap faux fur. The covering for the case is a thin vinyl with a nice leather-look texture.

bass02.jpg

Here's the bass nestled in the case.

bass03.jpg

The side pieces for the top, glued and stapled.

bass04.jpg

I fit the top pieces to the base using the lip that I installed in the bottom as a jig.

bass05.jpg

The plywood top was then glued and stapled in order to hold it all to shape.

bass06.jpg

Covering the top...

bass07.jpg

...only to find that I ran out of spray adhesive when I was almost finished. I was sure I had another can of that stuff laying around. Oh well...tomorrow.

nobucks

Thanks Jack! This is my first try at making a box.

bass08.jpg

Finished! The suitcase handle was brown, but since this photo I've painted it black with Krylon Fusion plastic paint.

bass09.jpg

Closed. But...

bass10.jpg

It opens! And, after I open it, I can close it again!

bass11.jpg

The bass in its new home.

bass12.jpg

The handle after painting.

bass13.jpg

The hinges. I was going to use a piano hinge, but I decided that it was overkill.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice case Joel. :)
:wink: Pay no attention to Jack, he is trying to become a little boy again. Old people start a second childhood. I think this his third, or fourth one.:roll:

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mike, go visit Island Piper (Piper San, Keith Davis) in Ponchatoula LA. He makes guitars, violins, mandolins, and cellos. Starts out with a chisel and a block of wood, ends up with a pile of shavings and a guitar (or other instrument).
Very killed craftsman. All-time good guy.

nobucks

No, but I was going to use vinyl that we have on hand from when we changed to ballistic nylon, but I may still use that to skin one of my kayaks I have hanging in the garage.

As far as building a guitar, I'm going to build a Saga 5-string bass kit so I can get the hang of it, then I'm going to build another 4-string from scratch, or almost from scratch. I'm planning on building a copy of a Fender Precision Bass built around an aftermarket Fender neck. I'll post pics as I make progress.