A Beef Etouffee & Darn Good. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Beef Etouffee & Darn Good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John at Uncle Johns and I have been talking about eating and different foods so I just had to send this recipie to him , with him being a Cajun and living in those swamps out there.

Chuck.

John

Here you go ... try it ... it is some sort of good. :D

2 tbsp cooking oil
* 7 steaks or one round steak making 4 pounds total.
2 cans (6 oz each) Mushroom steak sauce.
* 1 cup sauterne wine
* 1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped pimento
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tbsp bitters (Peychaud or Angostura)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce or 1/2 tsp Tabasco.

Heat the cooking oil in a Dutch oven or large container. Add meat, and cover with the rest of the ingredients, salt & pepper to taste. Cover and let cook over a low heat for 2 or 3 hours.

That is out of Justin Wilson's #2 cookbook: Cooking Cajun........
Now I use a roast that is big enough to cover all of the bottom of my pot, the roast has to be cut so it fits in there. Then I brown it in the hot oil on both sides of the roast. When that is done then I add the rest of the stuff but I use a * whole onion, diced up and between * 2 ---3 cups of wine as the liquid and add more as it cooks to keep everything wet. If you can't find Sauterne wine a * White Chablis (Gallo Brothers) works just as good and cost a lot less.

I start this in the morning and let it go all day till the meat pulls apart ....At this time any bones are removed along with any fat floating on the top. I would say it cooks from about 9 in the morning to around 5 in the afternoon without any lid on the pot, just an open top. Boy does it stink the house up some sort of good. :wink:

Now do up some rice and get a loaf of French bread or make some bread at home to have with it. ( I prefer the home made bread) Make a bed of rice on the plate (or noodles) and then add this to the top of that bed ... sit back and enjoy a great meal. The left overs are even better the next day.
Cooking Hints.

1. It is permissible for the cook to sample the wine, We have to make sure it is OK to cook with. :D

2. Make sure you add wine to this as it cooks and the liquid evaporates, you have to keep it wet and ........ DON'T ADD ANY WATER ...... just wine so make sure you get a large bottle of the wine. It will cover the cooking and the cook tasting it. :roll:

3. Let some butter get soft and then add, your choice of the amount, some gar-lick to it so you have some good butter to smear over the bread when you are not sopping up the juice from the main course. :wink:

This is going to be this Sundays Supper.... :D
Chuck.