A Eagle Nest Camping Hammock Experimentation. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Eagle Nest Camping Hammock Experimentation.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well , I have done it , lost my mind trying to figure things out for camping.
Splane ya sely Lucy someone will say :roll: so here I go.

I have camped in the old army jungle hammock ( still have one ). The side entrance is nice but I do not like the zipper , the sand down here does eat zippers up like kids in a candy store. Plus you have to sleep on your back or a little on one side.

The Lawson Hammock I have is nice , side entrance but no visibility in it with the rain fly attached , it is basically a suspended tent. Yes it is comfortable and I can sleep on my side in it. Something a few nights in the woods I learned to do. It is a big package and heavy , a backpack will not hold it , it has to strapped to the top of the pack.

The Hennessy is the most comfortable and you can sleep on your side , the trouble is if you have to water a tree at night , which I do several times. Getting in and out can be a hassle if you have not arrived at a good way of doing it. The getting out is relatively easy the getting back in and having everything where you want it is the problem which I have more of less worked out , more then less.
It is not as easy as a side entry for quick and easy out and then back in.

The Clark Hammock is a modified version of the old Army hammock , side entry with ....UG...Zippers. I was thinking of getting one and trying it but found something I have to try. Basically I am putting together a low cost version of it. Or what they call the Pea Pod Hammock without any zippers ( I hope ). :lol:

The Eagle Nest (single) is a side entry and normal open hammock without the extras. Like the bug screen. Unlike the others there bug screen covers all the points of the compass when you are in the hammock, over , around and UNDER..
Not sure about the side entry of the bug screen but I will find out. Looks like Velcro , not sure.
By the way Bear the Eagle Nest single and double will hold 400 pounds , or that is what they say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

With a tarp over it , rain proof , the bug screen , bug proof , slap straps to put it up , quick and simple I hope :? and will find out.

I have ( as you might of guessed by now ) ordered in the single , the bug netting , slap straps and I have the tarp here from past camping trips.

Thinking about how to do the tarp I will create a new invention called Slap Ropes. :lol: You use the slap straps to hang the hammock so use the slap ropes and two bungee cords to hang the tarp above the hammock and bug netting.

Duluth Packs said it would be a week or so till it gets here and when it does .... I will find out if what I am thinking will work.
I think it will since I had one of those $20.00 mesh hammocks from Campmor out back and strung fairly tight and I could sleep on my side in it. This one should not be any different ... I HOPE.

If I'm wrong then I am out $ 119.00 for a camping outfit , which I can play with and make it to work for me. Main thing I like is the bug netting surrounding you when sleeping , no bugs can get to any part of you while enjoying life laying there.

The old Army Hammocks , wear your heavy socks or shoes at night so the Everglades bugs could not drill into your feet , the rest of the hammocks they attack you from the underside. So it is something under you to stop them.... Can you say HOT in the summer time down here. Hammocks are meant to cool you down when relaxing in them.

Stay tuned in for a progress report.... So I am calling this ....A Eagle Nest Camping Hammock Experimentation. :lol:
I can understand why the Kayakers like them , the whole outfit makes one really small light weight package to pack away , looking at the weight of each one.

Chuck.
Remember this is the Camping section and the thought is along those lines , not idle chatter like in the general section. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack ...
A long time ago when the kids were here at the house I hung one of the El Cheapo mesh hammocks in the back yard for them to use. I think I got it from Campmor and around $15.00.

Well the thing was comfortable and while enjoying it's comforts one day , I was thinking this would be a good way to camp in the summer if there was some bug protection. One very inexpensive outfit.
This one they have reminds me of that hammock , even thought it is not a mesh one. Besides if this ones works out it will not leave that fish net impression on me after a night in it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Before you ask , yes I could lay on one side in it. :wink:

Nothing ventured nothing gained , or lost.. the dice are still rolling on that. :roll:

Here is there web site. http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ I wish they would show it for camping in some better pictures then the ones where they have it set up in the banana configuration.

Chuck.
PS. There whole thing/outfit rolls up into a very small bundle. This is the single hammock and not the bug netting or tarp.

1b.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Interesting

That's what I thought and I can understand why the kayakers like to take them. It sure is one small bundle. I was wondering how many guys forced it in that stuff sack or if they just used a hydraulic press...

Man "O" Boy when it gets in I will have a lot of questions answered. :lol:

Fear not , there will be a lot of pictures and laztriverguy , if it works out ( see I still have doubts about it ) it will be on the river trip with the Hennessy. I never put all my eggs in one basket. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I looked at eh pictures of the hammock in use, I could imagine hat upper guy line that Tom Hennessy pioneered for hammocks.

That is the control factor that allows him to recreate the profile and hang of his hammocks. Heck of an insight on his part.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Brown ( UPS ) just dropped off the hammock , bug screen and slap straps here at the house.

The hammock and bug screen are packed really tight and in a small ball about the size of a Cantaloupe ( Musk Melon ) or large Grapefruit. If you are not familiar with there size , just a wee bit smaller then a standard roll of toilet paper. :lol:
The whole outfit would be a space saver for kayakers or backpackers and the rest of us that want to reduce things in size and weight for camping.

Tomorrow I will be doing some experimentation ( actually a lot ) and see what I think about the outfit and if I want to use it on the up coming trip in December.
Naturally that trip will be the provider and prover to the quality and use of the hammock , the back yard is just to see if it will work.

I will be taking some pictures as the process rolls along.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

When wuz the last time ya camped out in yer yard? Got dogs down the road? They bark all day 'n all nite long cuz nobody will "take care" of 'em. Better take that hammock out where ya caint hear town racket.

regards
bearridge

Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop. Augustus McCrae

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.. A sort of progress report.

To give you an idea of the size of things here is a picture to explain it.

Left to right.. What we all know the size of then the hammock , the slap straps , the bug netting

eaglenest%20001.jpg

Next the beaner used to attach the hammock to the slap straps. That is one fast way to put up a hammock.

eaglenest%20003.jpg

If you look real close you can see a Ridge rest mat in the hammock , for warmth when camping . It is the same one I use in the Hennessey.

eaglenest%20004.jpg

To fill out the hammock I put my mummy sleeping bag in there to give you an idea on how it works .

eaglenest%20005.jpg

The blue along the side actually covers the hammock and becomes the higher sides when laying in it. Remember this is a empty down bag just resting in there.
eaglenest%20007.jpg

When laying in there I could lay on one or the other side but could not take a picture of that , my arms are not that long.

I haven's done this ...yet... here are the instructions for it.

To put up the bug net you tie off the provided cord at eye level or higher , this becomes the ridge line. Connect the five clips on the bug net to the ridge line.
Secure one side of the hammock threw the bug net open ends , Attach the hammock to the desired height and relax.

This is from there web site on the bug net.
Chilling_in_the_marsh_grass_over_Shem_Creek_SC.highlight.jpg

I planned on using the rain fly that was stock with the Hennessey since I have the Hex fly for it but I'm not happy with the set up so It is off to get a lightweight tarp (Nylon). 10 x 12 will work really fine as a rain cover. Then it and the bug net will be set up. ( I will make some slap ropes to hang the tarp with , attach the rope around the tree and then us a small bungee between the rope and the tarp to keep the center tight , stake out the ends. )
Over all I think the hammock is comfortable and will work as a camping hammock for me.
The thing I like the best is that you just sit on it , swing your feet up as you lay down and you are there. Getting out is just as simple.

The tighter you have it the flatter you are , I found a honey spot where my head is just slightly higher then the feet and am still able to rest on my side. As with anything it will take a night or two to really work things out but trying it in the back yard , I can say it is comfortable.

Chuck.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chuckles
Thanks fer the pics. Now I know what yer talkin about. I see the good and find I would think it would work. My only thought would be to the slap things you refer to. Are they some thing new or just a new way of throwin a tree hugger around a tree?
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The slap strips are nothing more then a tree hugger that goes around the tree.

In place of putting it around the tree and then tying a line off to it like we are use to doing.

You put it around the tree , put the small end threw the large one and cinch it down. When you have both up then you attach the beaner ( which it permanently attached to the hammock ) into one of the loops sewed into the slap strap at the desired tightness of the hammock . You have the hammock tied off.

No knots to tie or untie and if you want the hammock tighter or less just move the beaner to the desire loop on the strap. :D

I just made some ( I call them slap ropes ) for the rain cover. They are nothing more then a rope done in the same configuration. One large loop at the end of the rope that will go around the tree and for the rest to slide threw. Then a series of loops along the line to hook to and a loop at the end if you want the extra length.

A simple idea and one that makes hanging a hammock a simple process. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I think I follow you, Chuck. Looks comfy.

When i put the Cooke fly over the Hennessy, I hook the same little sliding hooks that you would use for the regular fly, into t he loops on the Cooke tarp. That stretches it sideways for 10' directly over the hammock.

I have about 5' down one side, mounted low. The longer side is out sideways as a covered area right beside the hammock. Your 10'X12' will work nicely for that.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Only difference is that the rain fly will not be attached to the hammock. If there is some nasty weather ( as in rain or even with good weather using the rain fly as a sun shade ) then the hammock can be dropped and put in it's stuff sack. ( By the way I got it back into that little package with out any problems. ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will open up the whole area as a place to sit , cook , have a beverage or whatever before putting the hammock back up and hitting the sack. Unless I want to use the hammock as a seat , then just unclip it from the straps and re clip it lower as a seat or lounger.

This set up has a lot of possibilities. Setting everything up is like building our boats , understand the principals and then working them to the way we want them. :D

The thing I like is the light weight , a very small package and a lot of possibilities which I'm sure I will never figure out all of them but it will be fun trying to.

What I like with the hammocks is the ease of the set up , the visibility and ventilation from them and naturally the comfort , now put all of that in a small package .... :D
I sleep in a tent , the rain fly has more moisture on the inside then the outside , a confined space , no visibility and a stagnant air mass with no contact to the outside unless you leave a door open.
Then there are all of the rest of the things when you put up a tent , the ground cloth .. inside or the right way .. outside. :lol: ( The North Face tent I just replace my worn out tent with has the ground cloth ( custom made by North Face ) for it and it has the grommets in the corners to be placed under the tent so the tent poles fasten into it.)

Don't get me wrong , I still tent camp but would rather have or be in a hammock , any hammock. Sometimes it is just not in the books so in a tent I go. 40 degrees or less for a low temp at night you will find me in a tent. This new hammock will let me take both on a trip so I can enjoy the camping depending on the weather.

Tents are great for camping and hammocks are for comfort and being a part of the outdoors , even with the rain fly over them. Might say between the two it is the best of both worlds. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
... By the way I got it back into that little package with out any problems. )
THAT'S a bloody miracle. Ususally, a guy needs a 5 ton hydraulic press to repackage items as was.

Surprised the H#ll out of me also , still can't believe it but I did manage to do it.

Checked out the bug screen today , they say it is a fine mesh and they are not joking , one of the finest and tighest weaves/mesh I have ever seen.
I will not swear to it , unless I get a shot at testing it , but I would say that not even a Noseeum ( one of the flying jaws , the Sand Gnat ) stands a snow balls chance in H#ll of getting threw it , the mesh is that fine.
I sure wish I would of had this outfit at Outhouse key. Those little %^&$#@8 bugs would not have had me for there meals. :D

By the way the entry and exit for it is a heavy duty zipper. Getting the bug net back in it's stuff sack ( which is attached to it, same as the hammocks stuff sack ) requires more folding , stuffing and a little cussing to repack it then the hammock which went back in without problems. :lol:

For anyone color conscious in there camping gear , the bug net is black unlike all of the color options for the hammock.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
I already have Hennessy but this is sparking my interest.......

Yak....

I'm always on the quest for something different and as time passes things do get better for camping. Some of the old time tested and true ones do stay the same and can be relied on. They have proven themselves.

It is the new that interest me and I'm willing to give them a shot to see what's up with them.

Don't get me wrong .....Like you I have the Hennessey and love it but if someone has a better idea then I have to give it a try. Especially when they are thinking down the same tracks that I am. :wink:

The whole package I have on the Eagle Nest is about the third of the size for the Hennessey I have with the extras Hennessey offers. Unlike the Hennessey with this Eagles Nest I really enjoy the side entry , it is so much simpler to make things work as far as getting in and out without having to squirm around when you are in there to get things just right.

For light weight and a small package this one is the nut's .... I will know more after the river trip.

Besides no one has done a report on them so that is something I can do and it verifies my cost in my way of thinking for doing this , Plus I have one for my fun. :lol: .
We are here to share information about things that we like for relaxation and the outdoors.

Now my thoughts which might not be along the line of someone or anyones , all I can report is what works or does not work for me..... NO ONE ELSE.
So anyone can take what I have to say with a grain of salt or say to themselves ... That will work for me , there decision ... not mine.

Chuck.
One thing .. the single is nice and I have it , thinking about it the double might be better. I have no idea just thinking about that especially for guy's larger then my skinney 6-1 and 200 pounds. More room in the double. Either one will hold up to 400 pounds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For everyone's benefit I guess I need to post a DISCLAIMER about myself. :roll:

A few summers ago a group of us were camping on the shore of Lake Harney. It was a group thing with friends and we decided to camp for a week and do some fishing.

Well I had my tent and Tommy had a Jungle Hammock ( the real McCoy ) the 1st night out I could not get to sleep in the tent and Tom could not get any sleep in the hammock so we decided to switch. Especially since the both of use were awake and the rest of the gang were slumbering away. :lol:

We made the switch , both of us got a good nights sleep for the rest of the trip Tommy had my tent and I had his hammock to use. By the way we did have a lot of fresh fish meals and were they ever good. Plus I did not know it then but do now , some folks are just not hammock campers. :oops:

As I said that was just a few summers ago when I was 15 , not that many only 50 years ago ( a drop in the bucket time wise ) when I was introduced to the pleasures of hammock camping. :p

So you can see that I have only been interested in using hammocks for camping a short time. Before you ask.... YES.. I have one of the old (Original) Army Jungle Hammocks. :lol:

Chuck.