A Eagle Nest Camping Hammock Experimentation. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Eagle Nest Camping Hammock Experimentation.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My hammock that I used when deer hunting in the Sierra's was part of a B-52 drag chute. Had webbing straps every few inches or so. Had to use broom sticks in the ends, and rig a space blanket over the top. No summer rains there, so no tarp or rain fly needed.

Fell out of the damned thing a couple of times, then I shortened the broom sticks a few inches and cured that.

In a Hennessy, lay your sleeping bag out in the hammock. Sit down in the hammock, remove your shoes and hang them in the end, and slide them outside the hammock opening, under the rain fly.

Thread the sleeping bag partway out, insert your feet and align the bag. Strand up, put on the hood over your head and arrange the bag over your shoulders. Zip it up about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way. Pull the hammock up under your butt, and lean back.

Midnight piddlings are easier handled by merely standing up still in the bag, and using a relief bottle.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You have described the Mother of Necessity which is nothing more then the ability to access a situation and improvise what is needed at that time.

I guess that is why we have been awarded a brain to do that to insure our survival.

Now day's it is worse tracking threw all of the things and trying to figure out what will work , guaranteed to make you go nut's , a short walk for me. :lol:

Here's an example........ Campmor has the Pacific Outdoors Sleeping ( self inflating ) Pads at a discount. They are for mummy bags which are cut at angles for the bags. I'm thinking it would work really good in any hammock because it would fit in there like a bug in a rug. Unlike the rectangular ones.

Item #47862-P at Campmore. Have to try it , if it works .. Great if not then I can use it under the mummy bag ( which I use in really cold weather ) when camping on the ground , in tents , on a cot or anywhere else.

No idea if it will work , have to get it to find out.... This research is killing me but it is a ton of fun and either way I will find a reason to use it or them. If nothing more .. it will keep the UPS guy busy. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After my last post on the 22nd I have been trying different things and while enjoying life in the hammock and experimenting a thought hit me. No it was not a branch from up in the tree or a pine cone from the pine tree , just an idea. :p

Anyone thinking of using a hammock for camping this one that ENO ( Eagle Nest outfitters) has would be a good way to see if you like sleeping in a hammock.

For a small investment ( Less then one of the fancy yard hammocks) you could get one and try it in the back yard , if it is relaxing and if you get a good nap then it would work for camping , if you just lay there and day dream and want more room then a tent might be better but you to have something to relax in out in the back yard and the hammock can't be beat for that. Simple to put up and just as easy to take down. Or take it on camping trips just for a place to lay back and take life easy like some folks have done in there trip reports. :D

This is one that can be used for either , relaxing in the yard or camping when outfitted for camping if a person wants to.

Just a thought and I have more testing to do to get it ready for the Dec trip... Yawnnnnnnnnn. :lol:

Plus I said in a earlier posting no one has done a review on them for camping ... My error :oops: and I need to apologize for that mistake .. Johnny Swank did one on his trip about them on a 10 day trip down the Cape Fear River in NC .
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2976

Chuck.