A few Lousiana Pirogues | SouthernPaddler.com

A few Lousiana Pirogues

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana
A Ron Chapman Copperhead
RonChapman.jpg

An Uncle John's pirogue with chopped fiberglass over it along with an alumninum homemade pirogue

UncleJohns.jpg

Here is a new addition I got for free, it has several cracks along the gunnel and I will be repairing them shortly

Piroguerepair1.jpg

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana
The Aluminum Pirogue is aproximately 11ft long with 26" bottom, it has 12" sides. Unfortunately it has no rake, the bow and stern are square and the sides have no flare.

Originally it had a sealed box for floatation, but I cut it out and added the wood gunnel to try to extend the width. I usually travel with my 80lb dog and my 250 pound self. I recently added spud holes to this pirogue but had not had a chance to use them.

I use all my pirogues for duck hunting. I either use this pirogue as a layout blind with FASTGRASS or pull it into a blind on shore and sit in the pirogue on a bucket.

I just finished repairing the "free" pirogue in the last pic by adding epoxy resin and tape vertically on the interior over the cracks, then applied two layers of tape from bow to stern along the gunnels. Hopefully that will give it the strenght it needs.